Jambands.ca

Up Up And Away

kung

Guest Low Roller

It should definitely be an interesting experiment. I find it funny that while NASA is crumbling under our eyes because of poorly managed government money, the private sector is moving in leaps and bounds in achieving great advances in space exploration. It just goes to show how the focus of the U.S. government has shifted over the years from scientific space exploration and technological advances to blowing the shit out of muslim countries.

Guest Low Roller

Well there's always a chance that the shuttle will explode since the entire launch procedure is essentially a controlled explosion, however all the recent test launches have proven to be 100% succesful, so we can only hope that this one proceeds according to plan as well.

It might be worth pointing out,that public money funding NASA for the last 40yrs or so,paved the way with research and lessons learned to enable the private sector to use that knowledge base to enable them now to to go forward with their own initiatives.I believe the that govenment funding for space programs of any sort has run it's course and the private sector if it chooses to can foot the bill and losses,while a government agency can play the role of monitor.

Guest Low Roller

Isn't that the case with any industry though? Government grants initially help establish certain industries and allow them to get off the ground (pardon the pun). Albeit I'll accept the argument that public funding helped pave the way for the private sector get to where it is, you have to admit that the fact that a private company had the balls to go and develop an entirely innovative new ship, that blows away the bulky NASA space shuttle design, will put the space program, private or public, back on the right track after numerous embarassments.