Jambands.ca

Someone could be spying on you

MamaPink

so my computer is being a real dick today. I've had to re-boot 3 times already this morning... boooooooo!

i'm gonna kick it.

Alright, bad idea. (mental note, wear shoes when kicking things)

So I think the recent hack job to my computer is the reason for it's poopie performance. A program called message broadcasters was installed somehow - and it's a nasty one. Takes a lot to get rid of. What it does is replaces banners on websites with a paid advertisement from some affiliate site - this sends cookies off to the company which in turns pays the hacker money for people viewing their advertisements (or something like that). I probably wouldn't have even noticed if it weren't for jambands. The one morning when i opened it up the regular banners of CTMF, A Heads Tale and Moe.down were replaced with banners for printers, pop-up exterminators and sex enhancers - I thought, cheeky bouche... but it wasn't him! It was this stupid program installed by some jerk-off hacker.

Another thing it does is creates links from words on sites, highlights them, underlines them with green and when you click on them it takes you to (what i'm guessing is) an affiliate site. i'm sure there was a ton of other spyware installed along with it.

If anyone else is noticing this happening... i found THIS PROGRAM works best to get rid of it. My regular SpySweeper software didn't even catch it.

(sorry computer, for calling you a dick... and for kicking you. I know it's not your fault)

CWshredder is a good tool,but watch because there is also a hijacker that attacks it,nothing to serious,just doesn't allow you to update the virus definitions sometimes.Although it corrects it self best it can in order to update things somtimkes its troublesome.

I went through a few browser and homepage hijackers back in jan-feb time,took a good deal of work to clean it up but eventually after double firewalling and about 4 different tools I was able to clean it up....

edit to add:

I also checked out the blinds just in case someone was spying on me there too....

Thanks for the heads up Esau - hopefully i haven't created any problems. It's been a frustrating one to get rid of. I couldn't bare the thought of giving some thieving creep money, although it was a pretty genius hack job - just very very low in my opinion. It kinda spooks me out a little too....

edit to add:

your edit made me giggle

Guest Low Roller

I think that AdAware and Spybot are the two best spyware removal tools. I don't have the links handy, but you can easily find them if you Google it.

Guest Low Roller

I hate all the garbage that floats around the internet nowadays. My firewall is like the gates of Mordor and shit still gets through.