Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday Roger McGuinn 07/13/1942

TimmyB

I love Roger McGuinn! I feel that he is one of those artists that has helped pave the way for so many genre's of music, and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Yes there were others involved in his journey, Gene Clark, David Crosby, Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke, Gram Parsons, Kevin Kelley, Clarence White, John York, Gene Parsons and Skip Battin, just to name those who were in the Byrds with him.

But as David Crosby said Roger McGuinn was the Byrds. McGuinn leading that great American Band he helped create folk-rock, psychedelic-rock, and country-rock.

The Byrds were influenced by the Beatles. But the Beatles were also influenced by the Byrds. George Harrison was quoted saying that "If I Needed Someone" was influenced by The Byrds "The Bells Of Rhymney."

I finally got to see McGuinn in Buffalo last spring for the first time. He performed solo and it was one of the most special shows I have ever witnessed. I hope that he soon comes back again, as I'll definitely go for seconds.

This weekend I'll be seeing his former band mate Chris Hillman perform with Herb Pederson where I assume I'll be hearing a Byrds tune or two. At the end of the night Hillman will be joined by another former band mate Bernie Leadon, when they were together in the Flying Burrito Brothers. They will perform at tribute to Gram Parsons and the Burritos. The show is this Saturday (July 17th) at the Toronto Bluesfest and this Sunday (July 18th) at the Ottawa Bluesfest, both on one of the side stages.