Jambands.ca

Soel (bluesfest last night)

meggo

Holy mother effin Kamoley.

okay so after another killer dinner chez ms hux & bouche we hit up bluesfest, and if you were readin the lyle lovett thread, well... i guess that's that for lyle. although i did enjoy a few of the more lively tunes we heard, most of the tunes coming out were MELL-O and it was making me sleepy. i must say though i'm a sucker for the pedal-steel, such a sweet mournful sound, beautiful instrument IMO. but, i digress.

we boogied over to the roots stage, where there was a kinda cheesy straight up blues band playing. not bad, but like goldilocks, we were lookin for something that was juuust right.... and this led us to...

the black sheep stage!!! this is where the "Holy mother effin Kamoley" comes in. !!!!!! this band was H-O-T! super groovey, super housey, a touch of reggae, a big whack of jazz.... ohhh it was sweet. the keyboard player (didier davidas - i checked the liner notes ::) fu©king amazing improv stuff, i haven't been standing there with my jaw dropped like that in a looong time; there was trumpet, lead guitar, crazy bass player who also played cello i think?; killer drummer, and a dude with crazy long dreads (edouard labor) who was working the sax AND the FLUTE! (not at the same time) i don't think crowds have been rocked by a flute like that since the days of jethro tull! (i wasn't around for those days, but you know, i'm guessing). the crowd was lovin them, they were lovin us, it was one of the best shows i've seen in a very long time, i was absolutely absorbed by it. afterwards i found out that ludovic navarre aka st germain was the director and mixer of the cd, and i think he was there mixing while they played! that was cool for me cause i'm a big st germain fan... but i hadn't heard of these guys so obviously i hadn't been doing my homework! i managed to pick up a cd and get it autographed by pascal ohse the trumpet player.. wowsers, what a surprise treat!! they're from france so i don't know when they'll be back, but if they're comin to your town, get your ass out the door and see them, and bring diapers.

good to meet more cats from the board! low roller, ollie, cosmic chrisC... a pleasure! stapes, sloth and jay great to see you boys and hopefully i'll be seeing a lot more of all of you... i drove by 40 main on the way to the highway and almost missed the turnoff cause i was craning my neck to check it out...

bouche & sharon thank you for the KICKASS meal again, i love coming over to your place!! thanks too for the hooksups getting around bluesfest, we should go into the spy business or something... i think i need your address because i might have to burn you a copy of the Soel cd... not as good as the show, but a great listen nonetheless!

thank you ottawa! and now for the weekend... have a good one people! ::

Edited to add: RE the sex music thread - i bet this cd would be wicked sex music. it's slinky and hot and funky and to me those are key ingredients... okay, must go, haha...

Hey Meggo- I hear ya on the flute thing and - hey if yu think this is true-

i don't think crowds have been rocked by a flute like that since the days of jethro tull!

I got to tell you to check out Kale Denson!- Cause you'd love him and you've obviously not heard him yet.

do yourself the favour!

Get yourself D is for Diesel!-that is a great solo effort album- but any show or work with the Greyboy Allstars or KDTU- cause DENSON will rock you on a flute and a sax too!- he's the man just ask Tonin!

ohh and if you think this Soel is great sex music then I say- DENSON_ DENSON!!!- he's the perfect sex music too! check it!

nice, thank you sister, obviously i've gotta check karl and the tiny universe... ugh my ears are ringing from the goddamn chatham bar... yes i love you chatham but the bar still kinda SUCKS. okay i'm drunk offta bed. karl denson it is! and tash if ya want a copy of this disc just message me! ::