Jambands.ca

John Entwistle found dead 07/27/2002

TimmyB

For July 27, 2004

2002 - The Who's John Entwistle is found dead in his hotel room in Las Vegas. He has cocaine in his system, and the death is ruled accidental. He is 57.

I saw John Entwistle five times. The first time a solo gig in Ottawa at Barrymore's in 1997. The last four with the Who, twice during the Quadrophenia tour and twice at Neil Young's Bridge School Concerts. John is easily one of my all time favorite bassists, he revolutionized the instrument in rock music more than most. He was also one part of my favorite rhythm section ever along with Keith Moon.

Here's the full entry from Wikipedia:

John Alec Entwistle (October 9, 1944 - June 27, 2002) was the bass player for The Who.

John Alec Entwistle was born in Chiswick, a London suburb, in 1944. He joined Roger Daltrey in a pre-Who band, The Detours, in the early 1960s.

Sometimes known as "Ox", he was generally regarded as the quiet person in The Who. Bill Wyman described him as "the quietest man in private but the loudest man on stage."

John Entwistle was a talented songwriter and artist. He wrote several well-known Who songs including:

Cousin Kevin

My Wife

Boris The Spider

In addition to his work with the Who, Entwistle was an accomplished solo artist, releasing a number of solo albums beginning in the 1970s.

John Entwistle died in 2002 in Las Vegas, on the eve of the first show in a US tour. Italian-born bassist Pino Palladino replaced him on stage.

The Las Vegas medical examiner determined that death was due to a heart attack induced by an undetermined amount of cocaine. Though the amount in his bloodstream may not have been great, the drug caused his coronary arteries — already damaged by a pre-existing heart condition — to contract, which led to the fatal heart attack.