Jambands.ca

prince in detroit

meggo

wowsers!! i have never been a big prince follower, hell i've never been a prince follower, period. so first i must say thank you to ms hux & bouche - if you hadn't reccommended him so highly, i probably wouldn't have even thought about going to this show. but i'm so glad that i did!!!

started the trip off on a good foot by getting a speeding ticket in windsor. shitballs. cop was cute though and he brought it down about $200 (yeah it was REALLY gonna suck) so all's well that ends well.

(*for the record i'm not usually a maniac driver, i honestly didn't notice the road signs change)

detroit!!! detroit is a wicked place to see a show. it's been a while since i've been in the motor city, but man those folks have character. one dude had on a purple fedora, a nice purple suit, swanky purple shoes, a cane, funky shades and a big cigar.. and i think the cigar was crooked... man he looked awesome.

our customs officer's name was speed. it said that on his nametag. he asked us what we were bringing into the states, besides our "expectations to go see prince shake his booty." he was great.

i thought the show was at the palace, but thank heavens it was at joe louis arena. about an hour closer! i'd been to a hockey game there but never a concert, and it definitely wasn't too shabby, except for the ridiculously long ladies' washroom line up. jeebus.

anyway, we had nosebleed seats but they were still good. like i said - detroit has such attitude and energy - that whole arena from floor to ceiling was up on their feet and rockin the second prince hit the stage!!! i had never seen that in an arena before and it was awesome!

prince kicked major ass. i am not going to do some crazy review - like i said i am no prince connoisseur (sp?), and especially after all the reviewing of reviews as of late, it seems like a dicey undertaking... stick to what ya know, right... so anyway. what happened..

he opened with something i didn't know, haha, but it was great! fast and funky and fun, got the crowd going wild right away. i really liked how they introduced him too, with video footage of alicia keys inducting him into the rock and roll hall of fame. not exactly modest, but fu©k, it's prince, whatever.

the second song in was "let's go crazy", wooohooo i felt like i was in 6th grade or something, it was a hoot!!

i was very happy to see a lady on bass and another hot mama on the saxamaphone. those girls knew their sh!t. the sax player especially, WOWOWOWOWOW she was amazing!!!! great to see.

i liked the little interlude-ish part, where the keyboards player (that guy was totally wild, too!) did a tune with another player... dammit i can't recall for sure but i think he was playing sax. (sorry, i had two beers which were about up to my waist, two-handers, some bits are kinda fuzzy) anyway, they played "what a wonderful world." very pretty.

other songs i recognized were cream, kiss.... hmmm more will come to me later, anyhoo if it really matters i'm sure you can find it somewhere else. :: he closed with purple rain.

i LOVED LOVED that he did a huge acoustic set!!!! that was a real treat. he played some wicked blues numbers, god i love the blues, man i was happy.

my favourite line of the night from prince: "my band is tight... tight as a mosquito's beeeehind!"

i can't really think of anything bad to say about the show. he is a real showman and he knows how to fire up the crowd. a little bit of gratuitous shouting of "detroit!!!!" as del mentioned of the toronto show, but hey, it makes the people happy!

super fun and pumped wrapping-up of the show - he had all these ladies shakin their asses on the stage, they were AWESOME, and they weren't these spindly big boobed model types, these were real women, and they were hot!!! also during the wrap up they had the horns section all in cap and gowns, like in a graduation!! it was really fun.

hmmm maybe that was kind of a review. i like to think of it more as a synopsis. whatevs. don't shoot me. ::

all in all, a great great show. i'm soooo glad i decided to do it up despite my very limited knowledge of prince. SUPER!

ahahahahahahaahhaha! meggo, i love your flave. you make me giggle so much chica! GREAT review, sounds every bit as wonderful as the toronto show. and heck, you even got a detroit crowd to go with it! don't get me wrong, the t-dizzle prince lovers were all over that shinizzle, but damn straight de-tro-it is the place to party!!! every time i go there it's the absolute bomb, and the crowds are second to none. detroit is freakin' hardcore, period. but anyway. i'm glad you made it out & had such a blast!

did you get hottie cop's number? ;) $200 off your ticket is practically a dinner invite right there! hahahaha