Jambands.ca

Here's Ya Go, the latest on Trey n Phish

secondtube

here is more info from someone on the bort...

Quote:

This dude on another board noted some highlights from Trey's cover story in Guitar World.

- Blames the breakup on pressure from Phish, Inc., to produce more money and not have "failures"

- He completly wants to work on his own music, and has felt that way for a while and doesn't want to give all his best work to Phish anymore

- Farmhouse was basically outtakes from Story of the Ghost, and not recorded all in 2000 like the album says

- He thinks First Tube is better with his band and thinks Tony plays the bassline better than Mike (which is strange, considering my cat can play that bassline)

- He feels leaving Phish is like graduating from high school

- He said for EVERY show in 1994, setlists were planned out beforehand

- "We had three nights at Madison Square Garden booked for Halloween"

- He confirmed that summer 2003 was the sober tour

- He said he "hates bands that break up [for good] and get back together. Im going to offend people here, but every time it happens it makes me want to vomit. So unless we changed our name to Phowl and wrote all new material, to go backward would be... like......I wish Jane's Addiction hadn't had done it. Why'd they do that?"

GW: "There are all kinds of reasons why people do it"

TA: "Yeah, people become broke."

- About getting back together in 10 years, he says "the only possible way it could ever work would be if it were completly reinvented. And that's the problem. We talked about that before the hiatus, and it didn't happen because it can't. You can't go onstage without a hundred people screaming for Fluffhead. I wrote Fluffhead when I was 19. There's an inherent energy to be pulled backward. So if that energy is saying, 'Go backward!' and my heart is saying, 'Go forward!,' it starts to be a problem. So if we came back.....hell, we CAN'T come back. We can't. The scary part is, if we do end up broke and homeless, and they're offering us huge money.......[pauses].....but the Police didn't come back!" [Rolling Stones bashing ensues]

- He says "I can't die and not hear this music (his own orchestrated material) I'm imagining"

- He tells them that Phish was never meant to be a jam band, that he wanted phish to be progressive like Return to Forever and Brian Eno. "My friends and I used to smoke pot and listen to Another Green World, or put headphones on and listen to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and do bong hits. He then talks for a bit about music, inspiration and listening to the subconcious vibe of the show, telling him what to do next, and that "as you push further and further into you own voice, it gets harder to coexist as a group. The group mind, while it can be glorious, can also have a watering-down effect."

- Then goes on about how no one in Phish is an individual because were all part of something bigger, so in a moment on stage when he's playing something that sounds like an individual voice, it's a voice that's telling of something beyond him. "So if it looks like I'm listening, I am. I'm trying to."

- Then says he feels like he can't communicate properly when not playing improvised music "like Phish." "It's so right, that it has a tendency to wreck your regular life because you can't communicate normally. When it goes well onstage, everybody talks at the right time. So if I go out to a bar sometimes after a show, I go insane because nobody's listening to each other, and it's this cacophony of wrongness!"

GW: "That's hysterically funny."

TA: "Onstage it's peaceful, dispite the loudness. Maybe that's why people are mad that we're taking Phish away. Maybe other people feel that, too, that it's peaceful."

GW: "Well it's hard to find those doorways [in parts of Phish's music where you lose yourself and find a particular groove that moves you. they talked about it earlier]. People will miss that."

TA: "I will too. Like I said, I might go insane. But I think I'll probably just wake up and start writing something new."

GW: "Maybe it comes down to this: whether you stay in something or leave it, it's about doing what you need to do."

TA: "Exactly. It's about doing what your TOLD to do-from the inside. That's what it is."

i found "the sober tour" thing interesting - may only refer to trey himself, and/or fishman. mike has been oft-quoted as saying he's never done much but have a few drinks and/or smoke some pot. page as well, though some think he became a bit of a boozehound.

it was always trey and fish who brought it hard with the partying, and i wonder after seeing shows at the gorge and IT last summer if the lack of intensity (though fun times) was due to this "sober" change.

who knows really. it's all hearsay, conjecture and rumours anyways.

greasy