Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus Interview

Jay Funk Dawg

I had an opportunity to talk to Graeme Walker of Grand Theft Bus about GTB's busy summer and the new studio album they have been working on for the past year. The 'Bus will be hitting Ontario and Quebec just before their set at Evolve on Friday, August 27th, 2004

graemehatten2.jpg

How are you guys?

We are good - exhausted but good

How has your summer tour been? How has it been different then other summers?

Summer tour has been relentless and fun. This is by far the busiest we've ever been. Lots of great shows and lots of great people. We just got back from a 2 week rip out west. From there we headed into the studio for more work

on our new record - then it's off to Ontario.

When can we expect the new CD to be released? How many songs?

The new record will be released in the fall. No specific date on it. We're getting to the end of it now - into the mixing stages. We'll be doing some CD release shows and lots of promo for it. Not sure exactly how many

tracks yet - probably 10-12.

How does the album differ from a GTB "live" experience? How has the band evolved since "Birth of Confusion"?

The band has evolved in several ways from Birth of Confusion. I think there's more of an edge with the band's sound right noiw. The music is a little heavier and a little more concise. We've been trying to build the band as

a better songwriters and focusing on that end of things rather than the improvisational aspect of things. We feel this is a healthy evolution of the band; to be constantly changing. If not we wouldn't do it. I'm sure a year from now you'll hear a completely different band.

Are you guys pumped about this year's EVOLVE? How excited are you guys to perform with The Slip and Vorzca Trio?

We're really excited about playing Evolve again this year. I think I speak for the rest of our band when I say that we like the diversity this year. I personally love the fact that the Rheostatics and the Trews will be involved. This really opens the doors for more diversity in future years and can open some festival goers up to these bands. And to have the Slip back this year and The Vorcza Trio is incredible.