Jambands.ca

On this day: Warren Zevon passed away 09/07/03

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com on Tuesday August 7, 2004.

2003 - Singer/songwriter Warren Zevon dies in Los Angeles. He is 56. Zevon was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer in August of the previous year. A spokesperson for the artist says that Zevon had been feeling well of late, and died peacefully in his home.

I'm sad I never got to see Warren Zevon live. I remember the last time he came to Toronto he performed at the Horseshoe and I missed it because of work. On September 10, of last year I saw Bruce Springsteen perform at the Skydome and the first song of the night he did Zevon's "My Ride's Here" in tribute to his friend, it was a beautiful moment. Also the previous year I saw Bob Dylan tribute Zevon while he was still living by performing several songs of Zevon while on his fall tour. In Elmira I saw Dylan do "Mutineer." Both of these songs will appear on an upcoming Tribute album to Warren Zevon.

The clips they showed of him and friends at the Grammies last year were touching. The Wind really is one of the best ruminations on a death you see coming ever. On another note Kevin Breit eulogized him his own way one time by playing a Zevon riff that was the greatest single riff ever played (for a second and a half) then stopped.