Jambands.ca

Galactic instrumental tour

TimmyB

from Billboard Bits:

As expected, jam band Galactic will launch an instrumental tour Oct. 12 in Rochester, N.Y. The 25-date trip will feature support from bluegrass act the Hackensaw Boys and Roots member Scratch on various dates.

Additionally, Galactic will share the stage with Latin funk band Ozomatli Oct. 15 in Philadelphia and Mofro vocalist JJ Grey Oct. 24 in New York. An Oct. 29 hometown show in New Orleans will feature DJ Motion Potion. The tour is set to wrap Nov. 12 in Athens, Ga. At deadline, it was unknown what would become of a planned Oct. 16 co-headlining show with Ratdog in Allentown, Pa., now that the latter's tour has been postponed (see related story).

The tour follows Galactic's summer run, its final outing with vocalist Theryl "The Houseman" DeClouet, who fronted the band for nearly its entire decade-long career. The band's final studio release with DeClouet was last year's "Ruckus" (Sanctuary).

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

I hear what you are saying Jaimoe, I have seen some real stinker shows from them as well...most recently was their last show in Vancouver at the beautiful Commodore Ballroom. There was a paltry 450 folks there for what was their tour opener and first show in almost a year. They had just released an album and were trying out their new material in a live environment. PRACTICE ON YOUR OWN FUGGIN TIME!

That said though, I have seem some incredible shows from them, including a smoker of a gig at the Gorge! They have some amazing players in that band (Stanton Moore, Ben Ellman)....and some real mediocre players (guitar dude is boooo-ring).

Go down to New Orleans for Jazz Fest and catch them on the Cajun Queen or at Tipitina's and you might change your mind....

They have some amazing players in that band (Stanton Moore, Ben Ellman)....and some real mediocre players (guitar dude is boooo-ring).

These guys are talented, no question. Jeff Raines on guitar is either unimaginative or he just gets dominated by a band that's not guitar driven - which I think is the case.

I must say that of the three times that I've seen them live, they've always come up flat. Too bad too, because their albums rarely disappoint.