Jambands.ca

QUESTION FOR YA FOLKS

I was at a deja vu of this same situation a few years ago.

There is an awesome musician named Dan Bern, with a voice very similar to Dylan. His lyrics are generally funny, though.

Anyway, he used to be straight-ahead folk rock, and played on his own. He then got a rock band together called The International Jewish Banking Conspiracy (IJBC), and he plays with them. When I saw him circa 2000/2001 (which I believe was his first tour with the IJBC), the folkies in the audience were appalled. (Vancouverites, of course, are far too polite to "boo"; though.)

On the way out, I heard a few folkies asking each other what they thought, and there were replies like, "Well, I'm really not a fan of rock!"

I felt like I was at that ill-fated Dylan show years ago.

I read the article you posted, and it clarifies things perfectly. I also note where the discrepancy comes in, and you are correct. He was not with The Band for another three years:

"A year and a day after he shook Newport 1965, Dylan had a motorcycle accident. He would not tour again for eight years, but his next official appearance was on-stage with none other than Pete Seeger at the Woody Guthrie Memorial Concert at Carnegie Hall in New York held on January 20, 1968. Dylan performed three rocked-up Guthrie songs with a band called the Crackers (who would soon be known as The Band), the same band he toured with following Newport in '65 and '66. There were no boos; most of the audience was glad to know he was alive and well."

I stand corrected (although we can still argue over who was, truly, the coolest in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. ;))