Jambands.ca

Weird U2 Comment

StoneMtn

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who is going to buy her 16-year-old sister tickets to see U2. She thought it was "so great that her sister was into a 1980s punk band".

I thought we had changed topics of conversation, and innocently asked, "Oh, really? Which punk band?" (As a former 1980s punkrocker, this interested me.)

"U2"

I proceeded to explain that U2 was never a punk band, but she grew irritated and interruopted me mid-sentence and said "Read their biography!"

Well, first of all, I couldn't care less what their "biography" says, and I wonder who wrote the particular one she read. (I am particularly disenchanted by biographies of musicians since reading John Peel's comment in a book that Phish fans are former fans of Hootie and the Blowfish, who then moved on to the next generation; Phish! :: Hux can confirm this, as I showed him the book.)

Anyway, I am prepared to allow for the possibility that SOMEONE might consider U2 a punk band, although it seems ridiculous to me.

Any comments?

I don't think U2 was ever punk... I listened to them fairly early on in their career, and at no time did I say to myself "Wow, this is pretty punk...". Some people are just stupid about music, willing to believe anything they hear and re-hash the information to anyone willing to listen. They seem to think that it makes them look like they know what they're talking about... I have a feeling that this lady is one of those people. (That Hootie -> Phish theory is absolutely hilarious...)

i've loved u2 ever since i can possibly remember, they were the first band that i knew the names of all the members, oh wait, they are still the only band i know all the names of (unless of course i did the band's drummer). but they're not punk, in any way shape or form. the only thing they share with some punk is the fact that they have very politically charged lyrics in some songs (ie sunday, bloody sunday, for example) that person is incredibly misguided.