Jambands.ca

En - ya - whatever!

Deeps

Enya drives me up the wall.

I've tried many a time to give into the serenity that is Enya.

I am beginning to believe that the band is in a mental institution somewhere and their handlers have told them to repeat these insanely serene phrases to keep them from trying to bite their own faces.

http://www.pathname.com/enya/adwr.html#tempus-vernum

I listen to this and feel like I need to wet myself in a meadow .... I don't even know what the means, but I am so OD'd on these smooth sounds that I fear I may never climax again.

I do not own or endorse the CD which I am listening to. "A Day Without Rain"

What would a conversation with Enya be like?

Me: So enya how do you fell about anything?

Enya: Well if the trees were in the meadow and the breeze was wind-filled I'd have to say "No Comment" da da da deeeee la dee la dee da.

Oddly enough that backwards video they had ruled!

K I'm done.

Sail away Sail away Sail away!

Wait I'm back.....

Ok now I'm really ahhhh rrrr enyaa rrr.

Even the URL is generic and mindless.

Deeps:

Did you ever see the episode of South Park where Kyle (I think it was Kyle) was asked by his grandfather to kill him, because it sucked so badly to be old?

He said, "Let me show you what it's like to be old"... and he locked Kyle in a room with Enya blaring. Kyle said, "It's sweet and soothing, but lame all at the same time. I understand now!"

I worked in a record store for years and the owner's specialties were new age music and progressive rock music. When the first Enya CD came out, it was a surprise hit, and we had been playing it for a while anyway. I remember one weekend during our town festival when the owner just put it on endless repeat. Granted, we sold out all our copies that weekend, but I wanted to eat broken glass by the end of the work day.

The fringes of new age music has some very interesting stuff. I'm thinking of artists like Steve Roach, Michael Hedges, Brian and Roger Eno, William Ackerman, artists like that. But it's only a couple of keyboards and an orchestral arrangement away from John Tesh and Yanni, a dangerous slippery slope. Some of that new age music is just creepy, both musically and philosophically and Enya is a prime example.

Shame, that job ruined progressive rock for me too. Or maybe it wes that Grateful Dead concert I saw in 1990. Yeah, I think that was it. Come to think of it, some of Mickey Hart's solo stuff borders up pretty closely to the new age category, but it's got balls. Big hairy unshaven balls.

I once saw Tangerine Dream at Massey Hall! It was hilarious because at one point, one musician flipped a switch and turned off all the power on the stage! Suddenly, we were plunged into silence and had to endure three embarrassed Germans trying to explain the mechanics of their system to an applauding crowd (I think their very prescence garnered the applause). Weird show, but interesting. I wish I was old enough at the time to have done more drugs. Incidentally, some of their earlier albums (say, pre 1976) are excellent too.

Sorry, what are we talking about here again?