Jambands.ca

R.I.P. Chet Helms

Vermontdave

This is the passing of a man who helped create what this skanctuary is all about. I'm too much of a dumbass to know how to link to things, but there's many comments coming in from the people who took part in the 60's phsychedelic era.

Mickey Hart said something like 'Chet was a hippie, he hated charging people for shows'

Barry Melton said something along the lines of 'Without Chet there would have been no Dead or Airplane'

I toast his legacy tonight with beer.

peace

ChetHelms.jpg

Chester Leo Helms

August 2, 1942 - June 25, 2005

a cool Chet Helms story from 5 years ago...

Recently somebody wrote the Chronicle saying Chet had died. So Chet decided to have a wake and a resurrection. He hired a hearse and a coffin and invited 200 people . He was driven up to the Gold Coast Restaurant in the hearse and the pall bearers were Terance Hallinan, Richard Hongisto and Wavy Gravey. The Coffin rolled into the restaurant and was opened. Chet lay there with flowers and a cellular phone on his chest. The phone rang and he rose to answer it and walked thru the toasting crowd and camera people.

cheers to Chet, and all the good individuals from that era, who shook up the world so beautifully

Edited by Guest