Jambands.ca

Sad(er) update on Vassar

secondtube

I'm not sure how many of you have been following his condition (he has cancer, which is spreading...), well, an update has come from his family, and its not good...

AUGUST 8, 2005

Dear Friends,

It is with great sadness we must report to you Vassar's current health situation. Last week, the doctor had ordered an MRI which showed that the cancer had moved into Vassar's brain. This development was going to be treated with aggressive radiation. After two days of treatment, Vassar has decided to stop any further medical intervention.

Vassar is resting comfortably with family and friends. Hospice has been called in and will be taking care of him once he is out of the hospital. Both Vassar and his family have been so appreciative of your cards, notes, love and support. We can only ask now that you all pray for his peaceful passing devoid of suffering and pain.

The family continues to request that no contact be made other than guestbook and prayers. No phone calls please. Please look to the website for all updates. It also should be mentioned that all orders for merchandise have not been fulfilled, due to circumstances, and that your continued patience is deeply appreciated.

We can only pray that Vassar makes this next transition as gracefully as he played his fiddle. Listen to the mockingbird sing...

God Bless You Vassar!

:(

Edited by Guest

Hmmm... Well, I get that station, being in cleveland and all... What gives? Are you around here or something? Or is it a show up there, which RUW carries? hmmmm.... Anyhow, I'll listen, just set my alarm on my phone...

S/C

*edit* I see now that this is quoted, perhaps it's not YOUR show, but the show of someone from here who's article you quoted? Damn I'm confused....

Edited by Guest

from http://www.vassarclements.com

Dear Friends,

On August 16th 2005 at 8:35 am Nashville time, the angels in heaven stopped singing for a moment, as they heard the most beautiful music approaching from a distance - the high lonesome sound of Vassar Clements' fiddle.

We are deeply saddened by the passing of this truly wonderful and beautiful man whose purpose in life on Earth was in spreading love and happiness to people, both through his music and through his generosity and light of spirit.

Vassar indeed has touched the lives of so many of us, and we can all count ourselves as blessed to have been witness to the musical genious and kind-hearted nature of this great yet humble man.

It is a great testament to a life when those whose paths you crossed hold you up as an example on how to treat others. Vassar's guestbook is that testament and shows how incredibly loved and admired Vassar was on this Earth by both those who knew him personally and those who knew him only through his music.

I would like to thank Vassar's daughter Midge and son-in-law George on behalf of all of us that loved Vassar for the great love and care they have shown him since the passing of his wife Millie just over seven years ago. Selfless and devoted, they not only took care of Vassar emotionally and physically, but also jumped in and learned the music business so Vassar could continue to play for all of us around the country.

I picture Vassar and Millie in heaven, reunited in the love they shared that transcends all things, him playing while she dances.

Thank You Vassar - God Bless You. Rest In Peace.