Jambands.ca

"Reasonable Search and Seizure"

StoneMtn

the officers 'hunch' momack, should NOT be enough. cause what is not stated is how many of nervous people he has searched who he had 'hunches' about whom were innocent of all crimes including the bullshit pot ones.

See, now we're on to something. My thoughts would be that given all of the factors the officer's hunch was based on reasonable grounds. ie. he processed all the different things he perceived, together with the priors and made a correct judgment. But, I can see how one would argue otherwise. And normally I would agree... I've very very pro-rights & freedoms, pro-privacy... its just a question of where the line gets drawn - and more importantly, whether we enforce the laws that govern this country, be they right or wrong.

did the guy have long hair and a tie-dye, with a dead sticker on the car. we dont hear anything about the guys appearance. was his car beat up? no it was a reantal. so driving 75 in a 90 km/h zone , while in heavy fog(and if youve ever been to revelstoke, you know the fog can be bad, and those are some pretty windy roads.) constitutes impaired driving. was he in the passing lane? if not then in my opinion the popo had no reason to pull him over! you are legally allowed to go less than the speed limit if you stay in the slow lane. hey mo, what about my crimestoppers point!!?

wow. i would be terrified to say no to a cop...very interesting that the shoe's on the other foot south of the 49th. i had always understood that your car was fair game (again with that wonderfully elastic disclaimer "probable cause..."), but for a cop to search my person requires full-on cause (pound of pot on the dash sort of thing).

interesting to get the US perspective on things :)

Well, it was kind of strange (Telling a cop he can't do something. Or at least that he doesn't have MY permission to do it.) He kept saying things like, "Well, what do you have to hide?" "You must have something in there you don't want me to see."

I simply replied that I wasn't hiding anything, I was just late to work. He wasn't very happy about it, they never are. But people have rights and there are procedures to follow to ensure that one's rights are not violated. And I've heard of people being busted for seeds on the floorboard, so I'm not going to take any chances if I don't have to...

Well, now I know to pocket anything I might have on me in Canada, and now you know that on your person is a terrible place to have anything, if ever you are in the US...

S/C

wow. i would be terrified to say no to a cop...very interesting that the shoe's on the other foot south of the 49th. i had always understood that your car was fair game (again with that wonderfully elastic disclaimer "probable cause...")' date=' but for a cop to search my person requires full-on cause (pound of pot on the dash sort of thing).

interesting to get the US perspective on things :)

[/quote']

Well, it was kind of strange (Telling a cop he can't do something. Or at least that he doesn't have MY permission to do it.) He kept saying things like, "Well, what do you have to hide?" "You must have something in there you don't want me to see."

I simply replied that I wasn't hiding anything, I was just late to work. He wasn't very happy about it, they never are. But people have rights and there are procedures to follow to ensure that one's rights are not violated. And I've heard of people being busted for seeds on the floorboard, so I'm not going to take any chances if I don't have to...

Well, now I know to pocket anything I might have on me in Canada, and now you know that on your person is a terrible place to have anything, if ever you are in the US...

S/C

cross cultural education at its' finest, cheers, s/c! :)