Jambands.ca

Boys Names

h

The default in Ontario and Quebec is for a woman to keep her own name. AFAIK, this is common knowledge in Quebec but not Ontario. I didn't know that Ontario had adopted this practice until my sister got a rude awakening when she discovered that officially, she didn't exist. She had been using her husband's name for years, but as far as the government was concerned, that was not *her* name. Of course, this didn't stop them from cashing her tax cheques for years.

The Marie-and-Joseph thing is pretty common here in Quebec. It seems to be expected.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pascal is nice, i`ve heard that for boys and girls.

A long time ago I named a cat Pascal, after the famous mathematician. She was a smart little cat.

Now we have a rat named Newton. I thought we were naming him after the scientist, but it turns out that he's more like the fruit-filled cookie.

We have a rat named Jack, too. Weird, weird, weird little creature, doesn't seem to realize he's a rat. Confuses the heck out of the other rats.

bad name story....i had a customer at a former job who's name was anita hoel. i even met her father, and if it weren't for his 90ish feebleness i would have asked him why in the world he would have named his kid that.

I once knew a girl named "Molly" whose last name was pronounced "Lester". (It was spelled differently.) When people started to shorten her first name, it was pretty bad...

I also knew a girl whose last name was "Dick". She swore her grandfather's name was "Harry".