Jambands.ca

DEM's dumbass computer question of the day

Dr_Evil_Mouse

We're finally trying to deal with not having a proper mail reader (ours, Netscape - 7, I think - up and deleted all our accounts a few months back). I then installed Thunderbird, which was great (even in principle), but I found that I couldn't separate out the incoming mail from the various pseudo Sympatico addresses we use into different folders, which sucked (how am I supposed to ignore whinging from students when I want to see what my friends and family have been writing ;) ?). So, now that we have a new computer, there's been no mail reader and we've been using the getemail thing on Sympatico's site, which is about to get frustrated with the lack of downloads.

So... (sorry, long story, couldn't make it shorter) I'm getting the impression that Netscape doesn't have a mail reader with the Version 8 we're now running. Am I wrong about them no longer having one? And/or am I wrong about Thunderbird not letting you set up distinct accounts?

I haven't used Thunrbird for awhile (my primary email account is only accessible through a web portal), but when I did use it, I'm pretty sure I had it set up to pull from multiple POP accounts (and auto-seperate them into seperate folders).

Hmm. From Ars Technia

"Multiple accounts and the Global Inbox

Like many mail clients, Thunderbird can handle multiple e-mail accounts. There is the option to keep them separate in their own distinct worlds or it is possible to take multiple POP accounts and have all the e-mail deposited in one "Global Inbox." Or if you suffer from acute separation anxiety, you can merge some accounts together using the Global Inbox and still keep a few other accounts separate."

So, I think it can do what you want it to do. I'm just not sure offhand how to create those seperate accounts, and don't have a copy on this computer to play around with.

Sorry, I realize that this is halfway between helpful and useless :)

Ok, to hopefully tip this towards 'helpful':

The way to create additional accounts is to open up Thunderbird, then go to Tools --> Account Settings.

Click Add account.

Check Email account and then click Next.

Enter name and email address; click Next.

Select POP and enter incoming mail server.

Uncheck Use Global Inbox; click Next.

Enter incoming and outgoing username (login id); click Next.

Enter a name for the account (e.g., "county email" or "my email"); click Next.

Double-check the information and click Finish.

Click OK to close the Account Setup window.

From a University of California webpage