Jambands.ca

Sigur Ros - 9/27/05

SaggyBalls

It was like a scene from a dream, a feeling that kept me reeling, an exaltation that kept me salivatin’. What a night at the Orpheum theatre it would be.

My buddy Dave and I strolled out from our West End neighbourhood only a few blocks to Granville Street where we saw the lines already started and wrapping around the block. Where normally stood club kids, bar hoppers, beggars, drug dealers, and passers by stood fans and music lovers. It’s rare that a Vancouver crowd gets to see a world class band from Iceland.

orphex.jpg

My tickets were at Will Call and after going from line to line more confusedly than John Belushi in a maze I finally got that little blue pass and it was onto the lineup. It moved quickly and I was inside in almost no time. A couple behind us from Edmonton were just as stoked as I was and had a sense of humour when the ticket counter tried to tell them their tickets were fake. I’m glad we all had a good laugh even though I was about to drop one in my shorts if the guy wasn’t joking – after all, Edmonton’s about a 15 hour drive…

Orphorch.gif

I stepped inside and was automatically impressed - Marble, red carpets, beautiful chandeliers, and 2000 eager hipsters flooding into their seats. Row 16 Seat 33. close enough to see but far enough away to feel at a distance. I was stoked for the band to come out. The lights went low and 4 women come onstage. Amina were set to wow us all.

strathmore05a-02.jpg

Moving from a Strings/sequencer ensemble to members playing a vibraphone, hotel bells, wineglasses, glockenspiel, harpsichord, wine glasses, and saw, the group dazzled with its naivistic-yet-intricate sound.

strathmore05a-07.jpgstrathmore05a-04.jpg

The arrangements made the 4 piece sound and feel as strong as 9 or 10 at times.

strathmore05a-01.jpg

I learned after the fact that they have collaborated with Sigur Ros for years, and was amazed by how much I felt they were a perfect opening act. Intuition was correct again and I was left in a fit of awe. What a treat. Filled with Childlike innocence, Amina made me feel happy and more comfortable in the worn out seat I was sitting in. After their applause, the crowd flooded the merch table and I wandered around the beautiful old vaudeville theatre.

orpheum.JPG

A screen shrouded the stage for when Sigur Ros got to their instruments – What a stage set for a slow build to a violently beautiful finish. The crowd was as quiet as I’d ever heard an audience, hanging on every note, every sound, every word, every slow twitch. The band was backlit in a calm green hue and it seemed like the band poured out their souls to keep us intent and focused. The screen moved aside and the crowd roared after an intense intro.

From song to song, the band rotated through guitars, basses, keyboards, vibes, and drums. I had my eyes closed for some parts of songs and was surprised to see the stage look different every so often. Projections of birds on a line, people in wintertime, kids playing, and various monochrome blends on the action shots set a unique visual backdrop for their intense feel.

nyc051a-02.jpg

Amina played behind Sigur Ros as the sweetening backing band. There was a great deal of interplay between all of the artists and it felt as though they were all the same act rather than just collaborators. I felt as though they were more like family than friends.

mid set the piano didn't come in on cue. a technician came out with a flash light and tried to figure out what to do to get the band back on track. the band quickly walked over to one another, they begin to play and tell us straight out, 'the piano is broke, piano is supposed to be here'. If I’d had my eyes closed for it all I wouldn’t have known the difference. Not a stop, no momentum slowing. Sheer professionalism.

boston05a-01.jpg

The set ended with the most intense sonic barrage I’ve ever been hit with. I felt myself relax and go somewhere new and intense. I had debated with myself for 2 weeks about whether or not I’d go to this show under an influence but ultimately decided against it and when the band stopped I was glad I had. I felt noticeably stronger and clearer for 3 days afterwards. This show made me contemplate going on Sigur Ros tour…do I really want to use a band like a drug? Hey kids…bliss out on Sigur Ros! I doubt we’ll be reading about that in the news.

We got one encore after some hoots and hollers and were seemingly satisfied. After they finished that, the audience rose to their feet and raged a standing ovation. A few minutes later the band came out and bowed. After a few more minutes of applause, the band came out again and bowed, waved, and sent us away wanting more. All in all, I was happy I finally saw this band.

bc_orpheum_other.jpg

I had noticed that I could hear the guitar coming from the stage more than the mains, and then further noticed how loud the concert was. Another notch in the bedpost for Jim Marshall. This one sure was a beaut. take a bow after you use your bow.

"Sigur Ros - 09-27 SR Set Vancouver

Intro

Glosoli -

Hoppipolla -

Mea bloanasir

Se Lest -

Saeglopur - .

Vaka -

Gong - piano broke during Saeglopur. after the climax, jonsi looked over at kjartan for the piano line, but the tech was already there with a flashlight underneath the rig looking for the problem. they finished the last part of the song without the piano

Andvari -

Ny batteri -

Svefn-g-englar -

vidrar vel til loftarasa -

Hafsol (Scribbled out) -

Smaskifa

Encore: Popplagid - 12"

26393747_bc06d52cb1.jpg

Takk the word projected behind them in that last picture is the name of their new album (amazing) but also means Thank You so it's doubly fitting. I love the language he sings, hopelandic. I have no doubt you felt stronger and clearer for three days they must be unbelievably powerful live.

Sigur Ros - 09-27 SR Set Vancouver

Intro

Glosoli -

Hoppipolla -

Mea bloanasir

Se Lest -

Saeglopur - .

Vaka -

Gong - piano broke during Saeglopur. after the climax, jonsi looked over at kjartan for the piano line, but the tech was already there with a flashlight underneath the rig looking for the problem. they finished the last part of the song without the piano

Andvari -

Ny batteri -

Svefn-g-englar -

vidrar vel til loftarasa -

Hafsol (Scribbled out) -

Smaskifa

Encore: Popplagid - 12"

And I am SO fucking jealous that you got to hear a Svefn-g-englar not to fucking mention the Smaskifa.

i can't take credit for the photos. I didn't wantto screw with my camera that night. they were not my photos but fit nicely inbetween text.

dima - i've had a hard time trying to comprehend exactly what happened last tuesday. Just looking at those pictures and thinking about that night tweaks me out a bit. I hope they decide to return in the next few years.