Jambands.ca

Free, relatively exclusive Bachman show for StoneMtn

StoneMtn

So, it appears Randy Bachman is coming to play a small party in Whistler at the end of the month. (I laugh every time I see the ad on local Whistler TV, spelling his name wrong; "Randy Backman".)

Tickets are ridiculously overpriced, and I'm not really a huge Randy fan, but I have just been asked by my firm if I would be willing to go FOR FREE, along with my much better half, "Lassie". (I've enjoyed a couple of his shows over the last year. Good old rock 'n' roll.)

Hell ya! It's about time they wanted to send me somewhere other than a legal conference! (It's not a Ratdog show, but what can you do?)

Woo hoo!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went to this show with the greatest optimism. I was sadly mistaken.

I've seen Randy Bachman three times before last night. He was good to great each time. Last night, though, was ... painful.

I suppose the biggest problem is that it seems like no one thought to bring a sound-technician. I saw a guy standing behind the soundboard, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was actually deaf. It seemed his big technique was to try to crank the various knobs further up, in attempts to make each noise that much noisier; without seeming to care what the mix sounded like. (Bear in mind this was a room of three or four hundred people. My grandmother could have made it sound better than he did; although in fairness she's only partially deaf.)

The Bachman Band was okay; but not world-class by any stretch. They were severely sandbagged by their soundman, to say the least, but that wasn't their only problem up there. I almost couldn't stand it when they turned it into a serious nostalgia show by playing little riffs from Free's "All Right Now" and other extremely predictable "classic rock" songs that had nothing to do with Guess Who, BTO, or Randy Bachman; and only served to detract from the fleeting moments that the band sounded remotely palatable through the muddiness.

Although I sympathize with Randy and his band, due to the unbelievably bad sound, I have to say this was the worst show I've seen since I can remember.

At least it's snowing. I'm going snowboarding...

Well, I went to this show with the greatest optimism. I was sadly mistaken.

I've seen Randy Bachman three times before last night. He was good to great each time. Last night, though, was ... painful.

Although I sympathize with Randy and his band, due to the unbelievably bad sound, I have to say this was the worst show I've seen since I can remember.

At least it's snowing. I'm going snowboarding...

sorry to hear that, corey. all through reading your review i thought about the simpsons where randy bachman appears. maybe homer was down front yelling at them, that's why it sucked so bad :)

homer :"taking care of business! play taking care of business!

randy bachman: "we are!!"

homer: "well get to the good part!!"