Jambands.ca

x

Joan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 8-year old is already bringing back stories about how much the people in her new country school "think being gay isn't ok" and how it's used daily as a weapon against other kids who have roused some bully's ire.

A particularly sinister form of bullying too, because it makes victims even of those not targetted. ie. the "popular kids" who either

a) are actually gay and now must either absorb the abuse alongside the kid targetted, or open themselves up to worse (and probably physical) bullying than what was originally levelled at the kid being picked-on

(this is different from sticking up for someone being picked on, which is noble. This means equating yourself with exactly that which is being targetted)

or

B) are not actually gay, but disagree strongly with queerness being used as taunt or attack ... essentially making themselves vulnerable to the same abuse as in a) should they speak up about the same.

I was always (woefully) amazed at how many times 'faggot' was allowed to slip in classroom environments. The benefit of invisible minorities, I suppose, is that you have the luxury of pretending that they're not in the room.

Thanks for the link! That looks like a good read. This thread has already distracted me from what I should be doing, but when I get some free minutes, it is first on the list.

[edited:] actually, B) isn't so much different from similar scenarios, I suddenly realize. But a) is unique.