Jambands.ca

The news on the Pagan Picnic/Pagan Pride Day

Rob Not Bob

Howdy,

I've been talking on the board about a benefit I am helping to organize for the Ottawa Food Bank, the Pagan Picnic. Well, there have been major developments so I thought I would bring you nice folks up to date on them. The big news is that one of the members of the organizing committee was made the regional co-ordinator for Ottawa for Pagan Pride Day, so this will be an official Pagan Pride Day event. This has plusses and minuses ... the plusses are a big boost for publicity and volunteers, the minuses include stricter guidelines for the date and site. We now have a date set for the event, Saturday Sept. 13, but are still working on a site. What require for this site is that it be on public property (preferably with public restrooms) and it be accessible through public transportation. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to make them. This will be a fun day with a picnic, games, food, good folks and music. I am still gathering musicians for the event, but have gotten a great response so far. The guidelines for the musicians are that their performances are a) strictly voluntary (as we have no budget for this event) , B) in all likelihood, not just acoustic but also solar powered (ie no power, no amps) and c) under the understanding that this is a dry, alcohol-free event. Thus far, I have gotten enthusiastic responses from members of Dr. Huxtable, Blue Grassy High, Ferris Wheeler, The Tummies, Jiva Ju, Keep Yourself Good Company and Daisy Ella Mojo Crew. We are also talking to other local musicians, both inside and outside the Ottawa Pagan Community, including James Cohen and Charles DeLynt. We are hopeful that we might have the Dragon Ritual Drummers perform, who are a drum group from St. Catherines. I am also hoping to organize a party for the musicians and their friends for after the event at a private location (still working on that) where they can relax, have a few drinks and jam into the wee small hours if they wish. The admission to the Picnic will be utterly free, just bring food and a blanket to sit on if you wish. As I said, this will be a benefit for the Ottawa Food Bank, there will be a truck there and people are requested to bring non-perishable food items for donation.

For more discussion and information on this event, look here ...

If anyone is interested in helping, or has any more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

Sounds great!!! If you don't already have it the DRD email is dragonritualdrummers@hotmail.com I have Crom's phone number if you want it...If they can come that would be AWESOME!!! I wish I was closer, I would love to help out. If there is anything I can do from southern ON let me know.

The trouble with most public sites in Ottawa, including possibly Brittania Park, is that the demand a) a site license and B) a prohibitive amount of insurance. We have *no* budget for this one, it's all voluntary. Re. Mr. DeLint, while we have extended an invitation to him, he is currently incommunicado as he is working on his next book. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Rob Not Bob

• 1 month later...

Arcane, your timing utterly rocks [Wink]

Yes! We do have news! More importantly, we have a site. We will be having the event on our friend Cheryl's land out in Richmond, so it turns out we will be having the event and the after-picnic jam party on the same spot [Wink] Here is a shot of the stage from last year (it has since been expanded) :

- Nice Bikes!

This year's event is going to be great, here are the details :

Event : Ottawa Pagan Picnic , a no-alcohol, family friendly Pagan Pride Day event

Date : Saturday, September 13, 2003.

Time : 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with an after party to follow on the site

Location : 3187 Eagleson Rd. in Richmond ... just go south on the Eagleson exit from the Queensway for about 15 or so minutes, past Ottawa Street in Richmond and past Lalonde's Nursery on the right, 3187 will be a laneway on the left

Charity : This event will be a food collection benefit for the Ottawa Food Bank

Attendance : free ... voluntary donations of non-perishable food items for the Ottawa Food Bank are gratefully accepted

Events : Ye Olde Family Pagan Picnic, face painting, live music, a roaming Bard, games for children and adults, crafts and singalongs for kids, a children’s harvest circle, silent auction, vendors and an information area to learn and share information about local Ottawa Pagan community and events.

Notes : The day time picnic event will be a family friendly, no alcohol event. After the daytime picnic, there will be an after-party for staff, musicians and friends where if folks want to have a few beers and , hopefully, jam into the night, they can ... I believe folks can camp overnight on the grounds. (Cheryl, the host, has said this is utterly cool with her and that she would rather folks camped out overnight than drank and drove to get home.) The event will be BYOE (Bring Your Own Everything) [smile]

Among the bands I have spoken to are :

Dr. Huxtable

Blue Grassy High

Ferris Wheeler

Jiva Ju

The Tummies

Daisy Ella Mojo Crew

Keep Yourself Good Company

Sorry to have had such a delay in posting new information, I have been waiting until we were able to confirm a site. If any of the musicians listed are now unavailable, please let me know and I will take your name off the list. If anyone else wants to help out, either performing (this would be strictly voluntary) or assisting in any other way, let me know, we would be glad to have your help. Everyone is welcome to come to this event, the more the merrier. Special thanks already to Dr. Hux, Ms. Hux and Bouche who are helping me get some of this co-ordinated.

Any questions on this event, feel free to ask me.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

Archived