Jambands.ca

Going to see Bruce Cockburn tomorrow

Blane

So apparently Cockburn will be playing the opening ceremony for the high-level segment of the climate change conference here. I'm so excited to see Canada put an ACTIVIST in this role, in front of heads of state and such people rather than some traditional safe bet. I'm hoping for a raging mad version of Call it Democracy dedicated to the American delegation, but maybe he'll play it a bit safer than that...

I'll let ya know.

Please do! Trickle Down might also be a nice pick. Or All Our Dark Tomorrows -

The village idiot takes the throne

His the wind in which all must sway

All sane people, die now

Be lifted up and carried away

Youve got no home in this world of sorrows

Theres a parasite feeding on

Everybodys bag of rage

What goes out returns again

To smite the mouth and burn the page

Under the rain of all our dark tomorrows...

So apparently Cockburn will be playing the opening ceremony for the high-level segment of the climate change conference here. I'm so excited to see Canada put an ACTIVIST in this role, in front of heads of state and such people rather than some traditional safe bet. I'm hoping for a raging mad version of Call it Democracy dedicated to the American delegation, but maybe he'll play it a bit safer than that...

I'll let ya know.

Cockburn knows where and when to pick his battles. To get invited to such an event and to perform certain songs within his catalogue like "Call it Democracy" he would be insuring that he would never be invited back.

I remember when a few months after 'Breakfast in New Orleans Dinner in Timbuktu' had been released, Cockburn was to perform on Parliament Hill in Ottawa for Canada Day 2000. I thought it would be perfect if he performed "Let the Bad Air Out" from his latest release as to really stick it to the politicians, but instead he performed the much safer "Last Night of the World."

But who knows maybe I'm wrong? Do let us know what the great Bruce Cockburn performs at the conference.

Tim