Jambands.ca

Reports: Madrid close to signing Keane

SevenSeasJim

Associated Press

12/12/2005 9:37:17 AM

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Roy Keane could be back playing with former teammate David Beckham at Real Madrid this week.

Spanish sports papers said Monday that Madrid is on the verge of signing the former Manchester United captain.

Leading sports daily Marca said Madrid had given the go-ahead to sign the Irish midfielder pending the result of a medical checkup. The paper said Keane, 34, would sign for six months, or the rest of the season, with an option to sign for another year.

Keane would not be eligible to play for Madrid in the Champions League since he already played in that competition this season for United.

Keane, who left Manchester United in November after 12½ years at Old Trafford, has also been linked with several English clubs.

For most of his time at United, Keane was a teammate of Beckham. The England captain left the English club for Madrid in 2003.

Madrid hopes Keane could give the club a mid-season boost similar to the lift which Edgar Davids gave Barcelona two seasons ago when he helped the ailing side finish in second place.

Real Madrid is in third place, six points behind leader Barcelona. Vanderlei Luxemburgo was fired as manager last week.

I think Madrid could invest that $$ for Keane in a much more logical manor. He's old, (still excellent but his years are numbered), and in a dressing room full of superstars he could be a real problem as he can be a head case. And I wonder about the speed of the Spanish PL, could he keep up and be effective? I would say if I were Madrid, go get a young midfielder from south america.

actually if anything i'd say that La Liga is slower than the Prem- agreed though that he's a freakin nutter

its not as tough either. A little more of a finess game. I think the spanish game is like a cross between the English attacking style and Italian buildups.

Keane as a center half just behind the midfield would probably be the best thing to happen at Real this year. Their defending is horrible especially against the counterattck.