Jambands.ca

Real Roots Music- Silver Hearts/Cuff The Duke

kung

Went to see the Silver Hearts play a fairly rare date outside of Toronto and Peterborough. From the sound of it Peterborough has everything going for it that Guelph does except they've actually got a good music scene day and week in and out. Apparently people travel from as far as Ottawa, Quebec even Winnipeg once to see a Wednesday night Hearts show at the Montreal in Peterborough. Anyways they were so top drawer it wasn't even funny, nine piece band- piano/effects, two guitars, Tuba, Accordion, Fiddle, Vocals, Harmonica. They had a great and huge repertoire, eery the sounds that would come out. They just kept playing and playing like it was a Ween show.

Unfortunately this thread is not entirely controversy free. I was going to also mention that the Cuff The Duke show at the Trasheteria in Guelph was resoundingly triumphant as well. But don't get either of these bands going about Jambands. I've got a fifteen minute, epic satire, anti-jamband rant that the Cuff guys started spitting on tape. Last night the guitarist kicked into almost the same schtick verbatim to the effect that 'if you can't do it in two or three minutes' you can' t do it all. But this isn't just typical Kung banter. You've got to understand that the values of our scene (if they can be rightly called that) do not mesh at all with where these kind of guys are coming from (in this case Peterborough and Oshawa). They just revile the whole notion of jambands as petty, insincere, trite and grasping and if anyone is entitled to that opinion it's these pre-eminent artists that are defining the new face of Country Rawk.

Wednesday nights at The Montreal House in Peterborough are unique and so much fun. Right now The Silver Hearts are heading out on an extensive cross Canada tour (going West), tapping into the folk festival circuit. Lots of people around here are saying this could be the tour that will make or break 'em.. If they play their cards right and manage to keep their shit together (no easy task for a 12-person mob of Peterborough-bred loose cannons) then I have no doubt they will become pretty big, as there's nothing else like 'em anywhere.

I agree, neither of these bands are jambands. They take cued solos and that's the extent of their 'jams'. I take it that it was only Cuff The Duke doing the jamband bashing and not the Hearts, right? I don't know if I agree with the statement that the values of our scene do not mesh at all with Peterborough (where these guys are coming from). If you make it up for a Wednesday night, you'll see that half of the bright, dirty picnic-tabled room is filled with people we call "heads".

Click here for Silver Hearts tourdates.

No at least one Heart was in on the bashing if you could call it that. I know what you mean about the spectrum of the crowd, I'm saying the 'can't we all get along' attitude doesn't jibe with them. I've got the tape, it's not as if I encouraged them they just expressed their heartfelt opinion which is that they don't have much love for the jam. I think for good reason given their position.

For some serious weirdness about the road check out Cuff The Duke's guestbook on their website.

For even more weirdness check out this pic of North Of America's van going up in flames!!!

Archived