Jambands.ca

KELLER / SSMB / SOULSTREAM Boot Pub Closing Bash (Whistler) April 29, 2006

StoneMtn

(I don't know whether to have a "thumbs-up" icon for this thread, because of a likely great party, or a "sad face" due to the loss of yet another great Canadian venue. Anyway here's the news...)

I guess this isn't a secret or anything, since Derek from Upstream posted this on another board. No details yet, but here's what is in the works:

The new owners at Boot just asked me to put together one final outdoor going away bash at the Boot on April 29th as the place gets demolished on April 30th, and it seems the city council have given them the green light for 3,000 capacity. Paul at Boot (GM) already has the farmers market coming to the parking lot and other vendors will have the opportunity as well. Will be fun.

They are giving me $30,000 to spend on talent. There are some great potential artists already in the works....

EDIT: Well ... I had to come in and edit the title of this thread for the announcement below ...

• 3 weeks later...

From Upstream Entertainment:

Things have changed folks, we have inched closer to putting together an outdoor concert for the closing of The Boot,and with the way it's going we have decided to move Keller over to the Boots Farewell Bash instead of an ordinary Richards on Richards show.

http://p206.ezboard.com/fupstreamdiscussiongroupfrm2.showMessage?topicID=1652.topic

• 3 weeks later...

Further developments...

It's been a little crazy trying to get this thing going.

The check writers keep changing their minds as to what they are doing and wanting at this fest.

I can tell you what was said 'No" to .....

They didn't want Ween ???????????????????????????

They didn't want Black Crowes ????????????????????

I think they just really want to not Lose too much money as an event like this costs about 80,000 Cdn

So on the table right now are

KELLER WILLIAMS (Confirmed)

Tony Furtdao

Soulstream

Clumsy Lovers

She Stole My Beer

Tea Leaf Green

It coming down to what they want outta this and who they expect are coming ??

Is there an automatic fanbase coming because of the closing ? Probably but how many ?

It's coming down to costs at this point and what they want to hear. ??

That's why Soulstream has come into play ? They want to please alot of different kinds of people and want to have great music played. They wanted Funk,Groove,Disco,Jazz,Rock.....the staff all wanted something different, so this is where something like Soulstream comes in....

One of Paul (the GM)'s favorite shows I ever brought up there was Tony Furtado band, so this is where that is from.

Keller is confirmed so we have no worries there.

Tea Leaf Green's agent recently called and we have discussed trying to get them on this bill as well.

There have been many ideas shot down and at this point you are going to have to just wait and see. This week it will be final, but besides Keller, the rest is still a mystery, as I've done my job and offered up some incredible options to no avail.

The problem with stuff like this is that they don't realize there are MANY other costs besides paying the band a fee. Once this wan realized thay kinda shied away from bigger names and want to keep it more local, which at this point is better idea imo anyways....

Going to be a blast !!! They have 4,000.00 dollars worth of fireworks to blast off at 10:00 pm and so many other cool things planned.

Twill be fun !!!

http://p206.ezboard.com/fupstreamdiscussiongroupfrm2.showMessage?topicID=1717.topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Upstream...

Tickets Onsale Tuesday next week.

They are $20.00, all proceeds going to charity, The Whistler Historic & Preservation Society, or something like that, so they can dismantle the Boot and keep it for potential future reconstruction.

[color:blue]Confirmed acts:

She Stole My Beer

Keller Williams

Soulstream

We are probably adding Furtado and that's it.

It's been difficult trying to find artists available and so we are going with SSMB as they have played The Boot more than anyone. Keller Williams because, he is THE MAN, and he'll perform from 5:00 to 7:30 pm, (a full show) and the the 10 piece afro/funk/groove dance party Soulstream. Here's some info. These guys are so incredibly talented it's crazy !! A guaranteed dance party to end the History at the Boot.

Individually ,the musicians in Soulstream have a long list of credentials, some of the highlights include:

5 west coast musician of the year nominations

3 Juno awards,

1 grammy award,

a Jazz Report Magazine's Composer of the Year Award,

countless other national and international awards

They have been featured cover stories in various music and entertainment periodicals, and have performed on well over 100 released c.ds, and on international stages including Radio City Music Hall, Sydney Opera House, and Wembly Arena to name just a few.

Numerous T.V appearances such as David Letterman, Jay Leno, Larry Sanders, Oprah Winfrey, VH1, Much music, CBC, and many others.

Various members of Soulstream have performed, toured, and recorded with artists including : Sheena Easton, k.d.lang, Wynton Marsalis, Tom Cochrane, Joe Williams, Mike Reno, (loverboy) Freddie Hubbard, INXS, Oliver Jones, Amos Garrett, Joe Lovano, Natalie Cole, Kenny Wheeler, Bo Didley, Heart, Renee Rosnes, Long John Baldry, Collin James, Taj Mahal, Dave Holland, Powder Blues, Maynard Ferguson, Slide Hampton, The Rankins, and on and on ...One member is even an artistic director for a music festival. The collective professional credits are far too long to list here.

As a band they get together to, groove, create, and party! Their’ repertoire includes anything that grooves : Herbie Hancock ,EarthWind & Fire, Prince, Tower of Power, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye,Incognito, Stevie Wonder, Barry White ...full song available. They have been regarded as the best band of this genre in B.C. (and some say all of Canada) ever since their’ opening week at the Bar None.

Well into their’ 8th year there, they have become a Vancouver funk/soul/jazz staple, what Tom Harrison of the Vancouver Province calls “Vancouvers’ hottest House band.†They have their own approach to performing covers, which include improvising not just in instrumental solos, but as a collective, a process which has spawned whole new musical passages.

Party Party

Link here.

• 2 weeks later...
Three-band close out for Boot Pub

She Stole My Beer, Soulstream and Keller Williams for final night

Published Date: 2006-03-29 Time: 14:40:12

1313Keller.jpg

The music lineup for the Boot Pub’s closing-out celebration bash, Soul Shakedown Got The Boot, April 29, showcases old-time favourites with sure-to-be new ones.

The infamous She Stole My Beer, nationally recognized and locally loved, returns to make one last stand at the locals’ living room. Country, rock, blues, ’60 psychedelic tunes – the Whistler/Vancouver band always knows what their fans want.

Joining the afternoon/evening festivities are rock and rollers Soulstream and Keller Williams.

Anything but traditional bluegrass, Williams lets subtle rave influences work their way into his acoustic sets with looping, beat boxing and dance song covers. Rhythm is where it is at for this bluegrass boy.

Festivities include live music all day as well as a farmer’s market, children’s activity area, food tent, beer garden and video-archiving station where people can share their Boot memories.

Proceeds benefit the Whistler Museum and Archives Society.

Article here.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope that party was a good one. I remember sneaking into the boot underage, drinking kokanee gold by the bucket full and listening to the sweet sounds of the bands that passed through that place. Quite the bar. It will be sadly missed. I was in Whistler again this year and knowing that the boot would be closing we thought we would try somewhere else for live tunes. Didn't pan out too well. I hope one of the other bars carries the live music torch.

Cheers to the Boot Pub.