Jambands.ca

Wolfgang's Radio stream

MarcO

Wolfgang's Vault Radio

Bill Graham and his concert promotion company, Bill Graham Presents, produced more than 35,000 concerts all over the world. His first venue, the legendary Fillmore Auditorium, was home to many of rock's greatest performers - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Prince - and the list goes on and on.

Graham taped thousands of live performances and stored the tapes in the basement of the BGP headquarters.

These tapes and the concerts they captured lay dormant until the Bill Graham archive was acquired by Wolfgang's Vault (Bill Graham's given first name was Wolfgang) in 2003.

Vault Radio is now playing selected tracks from these concerts in an FM-quality, 128K digital radio stream. Songs will be added to and removed from the radio show on a regular basis. We will be broadcasting unaltered live performance music from many of the greatest bands of the last 40 years. The music you hear on Vault Radio has not been sweetened or polished. You'll be listening to what the band played that night - nothing more, nothing less.

This is the real thing and we hope you enjoy it. If you like the music or would like us to add other bands to the playlist, let us know through Feedback.

Cheers!

apparently also found with the audio tapes is professionally recorded multi-camera video footage of hundreds of shows.

Graham's estate is working with the artists involved towards some sort of release and distribution.

Music Stash Recalls When Rock Was Young

But what neither Mr. Sagan nor the seller, Clear Channel Communications Inc., realized at the time was that the archives contained an even more valuable bonus: more than 5,000 live audio and video recordings made between 1966 and 1999, featuring artists varying from the Doors to Nirvana. The recordings were made at rock concerts that the late Mr. Graham ran or promoted. They were uncataloged and collecting dust when Mr. Sagan acquired the archive.

:o:o:o

I recall hearing about this but not checking it out til now, I've heard an Airplane Rabbit that surprisingly didn't make me want to yak, a brilliant Elton John Country Comfort from a Kinks co-bill in '70 (never heard that cut off Tumbleweed Connection live), then an unbelievable Tower of Power Down To The Nightclub (Bump City) and now it's a Taj Mahal/ Elvin Bishop/ Boz Scaggs jam session on We Gonna Rock Tonight from the Fillmore West 06/30/71 - this last one I believe is on this double disc Last Days At The Fillmore that came out maybe a decade ago. This really is unreal. Thanks...

For those who are awake this early (ca. 9am) on Sunday morning, "CBS Sunday Morning" (which runs 9:00am - 10:30am in Ottawa and Toronto on your local CBS affiliate) is running a segment titled "Relics of Rock", about the discovery of a "treasure trove" of rock memorabilia. It wasn't said during the program's intro whether the segment was about the Bill Graham stuff, but my guess is that it is. I doubt the segment will start before 9:45am or so.

Aloha,

Brad