Jambands.ca

Lawsuit seeks satisfaction from Stones show

StoneMtn

Lawsuit seeks satisfaction from Stones show

Last updated Feb 15 2006 09:03 AM AST

CBC News

A Saint John bar owner is suing the promoters of the Rolling Stones concert in Moncton, saying the concert was his idea.

Blake Armstrong says in court documents that he pitched the idea of a concert at Magnetic Hill to the promoters in September 2004.

He says he'd commissioned engineering studies and obtained a letter of credit to show he was serious. Now he wants a share of the promoters' profits.

"The reason I launched the lawsuit is because I was the one that had the idea, made the blueprints, had everything done, lock, stock and barrel to bring a band to the City of Moncton. They took my idea and shoved me to the side once they got the idea. It's the old David and Goliath story – the big boys pushing the little guy to the side."

The lawsuit names promoters Michael Cohl and Donald Tarlton as defendants. Both are members of the Canadian Music Industry Hall of Fame.

Cohl promoted last summer's Live 8 concert and the SARS benefit. Tarlton is behind the Donald K Donald group.

Armstrong's lawyer, Donald Keenan, says the promoters sidelined his client once the concert became a reality. "He ended up with nothing. He ended up buying tickets to attend the event."

The concert drew more than 80,000 fans. The lawyer for the defendants said Tuesday that he hasn't had time to study the lawsuit. He has until late March to file his statement of defence to the court.

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/story/nb_stonessuit20060215.html