Jambands.ca

Mr. Something Something 2006-03-11 available for download

bradm

Thought I'd move this quote from here.

The show this past weekend was really good. Le Petit Chicago is a neat little venue, which made for a more up-front/intimate show, but without the feeling of being crowded that I got in Toronto over Christmas at College Street Bar.

Very nice job once again bradm. That's the best live recording I've heard yet of MrSS. Their rythmns are sick. Totally uplifting music. Too bad about the encore, must have been good. They must be planning a live element for their next album. They did this for one tune on "The Edge" which was sweet.

Their once a month gig at the College Street Bar seems to be up so they're getting out to some larger venues in T.O. I was crammed in right beside you at the begining, but because I tend to not be an aggresive dancer, got pushed to the back. The way I see it, I've seen the SS's so many times, I can let other people get in front of me.

Their next T.O. gig is April 22 at the Crowbar. I've never been there, but plan on going for this show. Hopefully the dance space will be big enough so I can stay up front (or become aggresive grrr.)

Very nice job once again bradm. That's the best live recording I've heard yet of MrSS.

Thanks. It has a much more up-close/intimate feel than, say, the recordings from The Rainbow, which is a much bigger room (I think the entire Le Petit Chicago would fit on the dance floor at The Rainbow, with room to spare), and in which I have the mics much further back and higher up. (That said, Mr.SS recordings from The Rainbow do have more of an exuberant/big-crowd feel to them.)

The PA in the place is a bit weird, though. I found it was weighted more to the left side than the right (even when there was just canned music running through it), and moving two feet towards or away from the stage could make a huge difference in the sound. (In particular, when I stepped in front of the table where I was set up, the sound quality went from about a 75/100 to 90/100, easily.) That said, it was mixed stereo (which you often don't get in bars), and that helped the stereo separation you hear on the recording.

You'll forgive me if I don't remember you from the show at College Street Bar. There were a lot of people dancing close to me that night. :)

Aloha,

Brad