Jambands.ca

Are You OK?

kung

Was really blown away by Special Ed and the Musically Challenged the other day as I was by Slowcoaster. Some bands are getting really good at projecting intentions across space these days. Their album Are You OK? really reflects who they are and what they're on about. Mike Knoll really likes Pawnshop Ghettoblaster and sees it as an instant classic which it likely is as well as a live rager. But the whole album is full of chestnuts whether it's Rainy Day, Computer Brainstorm, State Of The World, The LIne, Terrified, Penulum or Throw Your T.V. Set Out (Caveman Wednesday and Five Mad Dogs are great songs too so I guess that makes the whole album). There's a real comedic defiance and resilience against the low tides of life. I think what I'm picking up on is how they let their experience inform their songwriting rather than writing about smegmadogmatagramfishmarketstew. Police in the corner gunnin' for you!

Nice call Kung! I missed them at CTMF but I've seen these guys a few times, including the CD release for "Are You Okay?" at C'est What. Great band, very fun and hugely talented musicians, and yes the CD is excellent as well. I love "Caveman Wednesday", and the transition from "Rainy Day" (which has some great kazoo play BTW!) to "Computer Brainstorm" is a great moment. Good stuff!

http://www.specialedmusic.org

Peace,

Mr. M.

Hey Kung, Mr. Musicface, thanks tons for the kind words and for the support. I'm not sure how well we fit into the scene, or any scene for that matter, but we just try to be as honest as possible and we love playing for anyone who wants to listen. Live, love and live music. Keepin' the peace.

Archived