Jambands.ca

the news

Deeps

I've really started to realize how much fear mongering goes on everyday @ 6pm. My grandparents are news junkies and I am beginnning to feel that this viewing habit has truly stifled the quality of their lives.

They are afraid of pandemics, the highway, home invasion, the list expands from these possible, but highly unlikely to ever touch their lives disasters.

I've found myself avoiding it all together just to get some peace. I scanned the headlines yesterday evening and yup...I felt worse about it all.....I think this is what spawned the politics forum.

People just don't want to know sometimes....I spend time in both camps...wondering what you all do I guess or if you've got friends, colleagues, elders who have actually prevented themselves from living as a result of the good ole 6 o'clock.

Deeps

I've definately seen the fear-mongering affect people I know. I went to Ghana recently and my ma was convinced I was going to get bird flu. I find this reaction crazy and it bothers me that people spend time worrying about the hyped-up fantastical possibilities instead of the real issues that make for less sexy headlines.

From September to May, I follow the news daily, mostly in newspapers and maybe 15-20min of TV. It can be depressing, but mostly it gets me angry and gets me active. In the summertime I avoid all media as much as possible and stick exclusively to reading books. It's a therapeutic break from the problems of the world at large.

i think americans have it soo much worse. ever check out the news they tune into on a nightly basis? talk about fear mongering. drive by shooting this, car hijacking that, terrorist code red, code yellow, code blue, kidnapping here, bomb squad there, suicide bomb this, regime change that.

i'm just glad that isn't my only source. that i have CTV and the CBC to fall back on. the stations that always seem to sneak the "nice" stories in there about little timmie who lost his dog and found him. we're lucky in that respect.

i rarely watch tv so i don't catch the news all too often. instead i surf the BBC, CBC and NYtimes online to catch up on what's happening. or if there is something intensely serious going on and CNN is doing one of their 'STOP THE WORLD and focus on it' routines, then i'll check out their website. Normally though i try to avoid it at all costs.