briguy

MARIA MULDAUR

2006 Grammy Nominee – Best Traditional Blues

Pepper Jack's

Wed, Oct 1, 2008

38 King William St., Hamilton

www.PepperJackCafe.com

(905) 525-6666

Doors: 6:00PM, Maria Muldaur: 8:00PM (two sets)

Admission: $30.00 adv

MariaMuldaur.Com

Maria’s 1974 debut album on Warner Brothers went platinum in two years and earned a Grammy Nomination for "Midnight At The Oasis". Since that time Maria has deeply etched her mark in the musical landscape and continues to record critically acclaimed albums including her 2002 "Richland Woman Blues", and the recently released - “Sweet Lovin’ Ol’ Soul". Guests on the new cd include Taj Mahal, Tracy Nelson, Alvin Youngblood Hart, Dave Mathews, Del Rey, blues pianist Pinetop Perkins, and jug player Fritz Richmond.

Both of her classic blues albums, released by the Canadian label Stony Plain (now marking its 30th anniversary), were nominated for Grammy Awards, and the latest, "Sweet Lovin' Ol' Soul", is up for two Blues Music Awards due to be handed out in Memphis next month.

Maria has recorded with the following artists – to name a few.

Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Ray Brown, Jerry Garcia, Linda Ronstadt, Aaron Neville, Willie Nelson, Leon Russell, Benny Carter, Jim Keltner, Stevie Wonder, Doc Watson, Charles Neville, Jr. Walker, John Sebastian, Ann Peebles, Ry Cooder, David Lindley, Amos Garrett, Bill Payne, Lowell George, David Grisman, J.J. Cale, Kenny Burrell, Delbert Mclinton, The Chambers Brothers.

Edited by Guest

I think Lazlo was the only Skank at the show but thanks to anyone I might have missed.

It was a solid evening of traditional blues and Maria exceeded my expectations. Her voice has dropped significantly since the 70s but man can she belt it out with the best of them. And Harrison was amazing as usual.

It was nice to see a capacity crowd of blues enthusiasts at Pepper Jack’s...hopefully we'll do it again later in the year.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This show is next week!

Brand new album released on Telarc! YES WE CAN! / MARIA MULDAUR

Maria Muldaur's roots are in the folk revival of the early '60s, a time when figures like Pete Seeger and Bob Dylan were making bold statements about the civil rights movement, Vietnam, and other burning issues of the day. More than four decades later, in the face of political and social issues in which the stakes are equally high, Muldaur assembles a group of legendary female performers to lend their voices in a critical examination of where we are as a nation and where we're going. Songs include "Yes, We Can," "John Brown" and "Pray for the U.S.A." The guest list includes Bonnie Raitt, Joan Baez, Holly Near, Phoebe Snow, Odetta and Jane Fonda. (Amanda Sweet)

Since the Hamilton performance in 2006 Maria has also released Naughty, Bawdy & Blue completing the Classic Blues Women Trilogy on Stony Plain Records - includes special duet with Maria and Bonnie Raitt. Also released on Telarc, Heart Of Mine - Love Songs Of Bob Dylan, featuring special guest and long time friend/guitar player Amos Garrett.

Backing Maria on this tour are The Free Radicals, featuring John Sanders on keyboards, Craig Caffal on guitar, and David Tucker on drums.

I think I remember you reporting on this in another thread after you saw the show.

The music is top shelf and for those that appreciate a good story between tunes Maria will entertain. She'll also kick your ass. She pretty much stopped the show at one point to kick some guys ass for using his camera flash. I thought she was going to jump off the stage and throttle the dude.