Jambands.ca

CHARLEMAGNE Friday night at PJC

TheGoodRev

Hammer folk

Come check out a great band tomorrow (Friday) night at the Pepper Jack

They're called Charlemagne and they are worthy of particular distinction because I am in the process of producing their first release. They just won the McMaster Battle of the Bands a few weeks ago. They write bloody great songs, and they rock it hard in a Big Star/Thrush Hermit way. I saw them on the bill with Bob Egan (Blue Rodeo) a couple weeks ago at the Corktown, and their show was positively explosive.

Listen to some tunes on their MySpace page - the first two, Blueprint and In The Right Light, are tunes I've cut. They are pre-mix.

Those of you familiar with my discriminating tastes know that I would not place my stamp of approval upon just anybody; I certainly would not be producing for them if I didn't think they were awesome. These boys are the real rock and roll shit, without a doubt. Cover is a measly $5, also on the bill are I-MARTRON and JUICE BOX, both of which feature members of Birdseyeing It and Flattstreet. Come on out!

504697781_l.jpg

Taken from here:

The order tonight is Juicebox, i.martron, Charlemagne.

Juicebox is:

Thom Gill, of Birdseyeing It and Flattstreet FAME, plus a ton of other jazz musicians playing mostly uncondomed sexual intercourse from the seventies.

Now THAT sounds cool!

A bit about i.martron, from his website:

Academe

2006-04-15 martron@school. Metastate is an interactive computer system that I have been developing for this past semester. The piece derives musical influence from Iannis Xenakis' Metastaseis which was composed using Xenakis' theory of stochastic music. Stochastic music uses randomly generated elements which are created by strict mathematical processes.

Metastate uses an approximation of the particle swarm algorithm to determine in real time the next state of the system. Swarming mathematics were discovered by studying the behaviour of bird flocks, fish schools and swarming insects. By ascribing a few simple rules to an entity, a bird for example, the higher level structure of a flock seems to emerge. These rules are generally described as:

1) Steer toward the nearest bird

2) Avoid crowding other birds

3) Match speeds with other birds

Following the example of Tim Blackwell and Peter Bentley, I have defined the behaviour of a single note in much the same way. As you may hear in this performance, the tone of my saxophone becomes doubled and seems to swarm around whatever tone I play. If I play high notes, the computer will respond with high notes. If I play a wide range of notes, the computer will also respond in a wide range. Finally, the behaviour of this swarming note is also used to record and play back samples of my saxophone playing. This way, if I return to the same pitch I had been playing when the sample first recorded, it is likely that this sample will play back. Metastate is an experiment in real time indeterminacy.

download the track:

www.imartron.com/main.html

Sounds like it'll be a cool night!

I'm playing with a Zep coverband called Red Zeppelin at the moment, but I did play a one-off gig with two guys from Charlemagne where we called ourselves The Surly Young Bucks. Red Zeppelin will be writing over the summer, as will a new roots-rock/country rock band that I'm assembling featuring Matthew Heywood (bass for Red Zeppelin) and a couple of the guys from Charlemagne. I'm also in talks to play bass for a certain local MC...musical things are happening for the Rev, I assure you Lazlo :). Come out tonight and check these dudes out, they're good. Go listen to those first two tunes on their MySpace if you're not convinced.