Jambands.ca

your finest *low-fat* recipes please!

MarcO

I am rapidly becoming the size of a house but I am far too undisciplined to commit to any kind of diet program. So what I need are tips and recipes in regards to your most flavourful and healthy low-fat dishes please! and thank you.

I don't know what "rapidly" means, but I do hear you about discipline; it's been an issue for me, well, for ever. If you don't mind keeping a bit of a gut, though, I might suggest the stop-all-intake-but-beer diet. You might feel woozy some mornings, but there's always lunch to look forward to :) (and there's lotsa nutrients in beer, y'know).

Summer being here, though, I'm looking at resurrecting an old keeper - a saffi recipe Deb got us onto a few years back. Ya got yer grains, ya got yer proteins. Yer good to go.

1 cup cooked chick peas

3 cups water

1 1/2 cups bulgur

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 tbsp mint (2 tsp fresh)

1/4 cup fresh parsley

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cinnamon

Add enough cold water to cover the bulgur; soak for 10 mins., then drain and squeeze more or less dry.

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl; toss well.

Is that my female doppleganger? :laugh:

My meals for the day:

Homemade breakfast cereal with some manuka honey drizzled on top.

Half a bagel with homemade herb & garlic cream cheese (the cheese base from seperating the whey from kefir, but yogurt or whole milk would be fine) and two eggs - boiled, but just cooked enough that the outer layer of the yolk allowed them to be slicable - on top and a fair amount of black pepper and salt (no table salt please!)

Rosemary and garlic lamb loin chops marinated in balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, a touch of pepper and some salt (no table salt please!). Broiled - I don't have a broiling pan here, so I used a shallow baking pan with quartered carrots and parsnips as a rack. These would have been great to eat, having cooked in the lamb juice, but I forgot about them. Oh well. Not broiled too much ... somewhere between medium rare and medium.

With mashed red potatos (not potatoEs, thank you Dan Quayle), mashed with a healthy dollup of sour cream, generous pat of butter, just a spat of milk. Of course, salt (not table salt please!) and pepper. Topped with shallots cooked in butter, mixed with parsley and ultimately spread overtop the mash.

Felt no need to snack between meals. In fact, the idea of food didn't occur to me. Could've done without dinner, but meggo had an engagement and I needed to sleep before work and figured the lamb dinner was probably worth making. Oh, I did eat a slice of jalapeno-haverti cheese ... but who can resist hot pepper and good cheese? And a piece of celery from a vegetable blend I've got pickling in the leftover juices from a jar of Bubbies pickles, but that was more to do with seeing how they are coming along then it had to do with hunger. (They are coming along great, and thank you for asking!)

It is more important to get into the science of fats - and to elimate the detrimental fats in favour of the nourishing ones - than to freak out about fat altogether. Otherwise, you can't stop yourself from snacking on whatever comes along and do your body a grave diservice in the process, I think. And eating becomes rather miserable, when it should be a joy. Eating is like sex ... try to do it right, because bad sex/eating sucks and good sex/eating will carry you through. If you don't like it, you're doing it wrong. BTW - I stand at 6'1" and weigh about 142 - 145 on my heaviest day. With my clothes on. And my wallet in my pocket.