Jambands.ca

Sound File Conversion Blues...

DevO

I can't figure this out! It should be so easy.

I have 22 WAVE files that I am converting to MP3. The problem is that once the conversion is done, the MP3 files appear to have no sound. The MP3 is playing in Media Player, all the volume dials are up, but there is no audio whatsoever. The WAVE files play perfectly fine.

I am using Xilisoft Audio converter, and that program uses the Lame MP3 Encoder. I am using "alt-preset-extreme" setting, and also "On-The-Fly MP3 Encoding" is checkmarked on.

I would be very grateful for any advice you may have! I've been working on this mix for a looong time and now I'm stuck.

• 1 year later...

Well, try using the old fashioned mkw program from the etree.org site. It is/was mostly used a wav>shn tool but also handles mp3s.

Also, if the original files are flacs, you can just put them into one folder, download the program from here ( http://www.simplefuels.com/tapergeek/flac-transcoder.htm )right click and convert the whole folder to mp3 in one shot.

Thanks SG, I'll give it a shot. I solved the problem last time but I can't remember how!

Its a bit of a dirty process, because these files were originally MP3s, then they are transferred to WAV when I mess with them in MixMeister, and now back to MP3.

Having trouble installing mKW, and can't figure out how to work EAC.. It doesn't want to import my WAVs. sigh.. Too tired now though, I'll try again tomorrow.

Any other suggestions?

The WAVs work just fine.. Can't understand for the life of me why there is no audio after I convert to MP3. I tried all sorts of other settings in LAME but to no avail.