Jambands.ca

Prayer in Sports

Dr_Evil_Mouse

I was first drawn into studying evangelicals ten years ago after listening to a call-in show where the day's topic of debate was whether prayer huddles should be allowed in the NFL. I thought the question was banal and a huge distraction in that context (except as a kind of litmus test for how respondents identified or allied themselves), and I don't think anything is different in this one. People who think in such abstract terms are interchangeable, imo.

Saudi Team's Pitch Prayer Sparks Web Debate

(Reuters, June 19, 2006)

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia - Islamists and Saudi soccer fans have clashed over the Web after the kingdom's team prayed on the pitch during their first World Cup game last week.

The Saudi players prostrated themselves on the ground to offer prayers of thanks -- common in Islam -- after both goals they scored against Tunisia last Wednesday, sparking a furious debate over the Internet about whether this was acceptable.

"The players were actually praying to their team mate who scored the goal, and this is considered blasphemy and polytheism since only God should be offered thanks," one surfer on the popular Al Saha Web site said.

"This goes against all the principles of Wahhabism," he said, referring to the hardline Islamic sect practiced in Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam.

Respondents to his posting cried foul, saying the players were thanking God. "This prayer was spontaneous and was of course offered to God," one said.

Saudi Arabia play against Ukraine on Monday in their Group H match. Coach Marcos Paqueta is optimistic the Saudi team will reach the knockout round after their 2-2 draw with Tunisia.