Jambands.ca

Baba Ganoush

M.O.B.E

So on a trip to the farmers market this morning, I scored some beauty eggplants. Right off the bat I said to the wife, " We are going home to make Baba Ganoush. So go get some pitas or we can make those too." I love it when I see an item and I can see and taste the finished product. You will love it too, I promise. Good for Vegans and Vegetarians and anyone else who loves it! You can also add other things to this recipe, like rr pepper, aspergus, whatever.

2 large eggplants

5 cloves of garlic, minced

4 tbsps. Tahini

2 tbsp EV Olive Oil

juice of 1 lemon

2 tbsp of diced onion

1 tsp Cumin

1 tsp Oregano**

1 tsp Parsley**

1/2 tsp Thyme**

Salt and Pepper to Taste

**or a good handful of chopped fresh, the more you use the rounder the flavour.

1. Wash and cut the eggplant in half. Season with S&P and some of the herbs, drizzle with some EVOO. Roast on the top rack of the BBQ, on low heat just one burner, lid closed making sure the eggplant is on the side the burner is off underneath.

Once the Eggplant is soft and almost translucent remove from heat. Allow to cool

2. Scoop the all the eggplant out into a bowl. Mash very well with a fork.

3. Add all of the other ingrediants to the bowl except the Olive Oil and mix a bit.

4. Slowly add the Olive Oil to the mixture and continue to work it in until completly emulsified.

Remember the fresher the ingrediants you use will have a great affect on the end result. Dry herbs leave this with a packaged taste but fresh herbs and garlic will bring this spread to life. If you think it is too think for your liking add some more oil slowly working it in until you reach a consistancy you like. You might need to adjust the seasoning to taste also. Its an easy one though and should only take about 25 minutes to make.

SOLD!

I had the same experience yesterday on my way home at the market - picked up a few eggplants, though I was thinking I'd continue my efforts to replicate Ceylonta's incredibly rich curried eggplant dish... this recipe seems more appropriate for the summer months.

I've got the eggplants roasting now (in the oven, though, no BBQ for me) :)

I've got a beautiful eggplant in my garden, and one is almost ready... this is probably a great recipe that will allow the homegrown garden-fresh excellent flavour come through. i don't want to outflavour my veggies with spices.

• 9 months later...