Jambands.ca

Open-Stage @ Kelly's Welcome, Manotick (Ottawa Valley content)

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Well' date=' it took precisely a year (to the day - has it really been so long since we moved?), but it seems I've finally got myself a gig down the road in Manotick hosting an acoustic open-stage jam. They're going to be on Saturday nights, beginning September 23rd. The more skanks show up the better, of course, so please, do come, and come often. The pub's beautiful, the mixer and speakers are over 30 years old (ok, forget I mentioned that bit - working on it), and I expect the talent that will be drawn in will be top-shelf material (I've been searching high and low for something like this to the south of the city over the last year and come up empty-handed, which means there are a lot of musicians floating around here horny to play).

Yay!!

[/quote']

Hey, congrats to setting that up Dave!

Now the next step is to setup a shuttle bus! hey DINGHY!!!!! Got any ideas?

If you get enough people to load up a bus...it could be cost effective...about 10 bucks each...

I could get a deal...but I'd have to drive, and, could not partake in the evenings festivities.

but...if you would be really interested, lemme know, and I can get you precise figures.

• 2 weeks later...

It was great! While it's hard to generalise after just three weeks, and given that this last one fell on a Thanksgiving Saturday night when lots of people would be coming home and then running away to the nearest pub, this thing seems to be growing exponentially (meaning we've been having twice the number of people playing over each week - math was never my forte). And each time we've been treated with a Weird Moment of the Night, too, which will be something to look forward to in times to come (I shan't elaborate ;) ).

It's been interesting, too, getting the rhythm of the place and of the event itself. There seems to be a consistent spectrum ranging from the beginning of the night when people need to get cajoled onto the stage, to that really schwilly time of the night when people are tripping over mic stands to get up front and belting out words to songs that aren't even being played :P .

It's also been my first experience needing to stay on top of sound, and that's been an adventure as well. Handily, though, the board dates from around 1950, so doesn't throw many variables into play.