Jambands.ca

Corb Lund and Elliott Brood

NewRider

I saw this double bill in London on Sunday. Elliot Brood is fantastic and I'm a big fan. Unforunately the venue was at Cowboy's, a new country bar. LOTS of shitkickers and tall hats.

I appreciated Cord Lund and the Hurtin Albertan's for what they were doing. Good sound. Some authentic real good Canadian lyrics. But they just never got underneath me. Not enough edge.

what a fun night!

new rider, we probably walked past each other a dozen times last night :)

corb lund was awesome. funny guy, great voice, solid guitar chops, although his guitar/dobro/pedal steel/banjo guy sort of stole the show at points. his whole band is wonderfully tight and dynamic, they have obviously been at this a while.

the crowd was very in to the whole evening, to the point of singing/speaking along with a couple of his more popular songs...

i'm not sure what i thought of elliot brood. they were sort of hobbled by extremely sssssssssssssssssssssssizzzzzzzzzly high end heavy sssssound...it was bad enough that we were ready to flee to the back of the room to escape it. this marred what were pretty interesting and catchy songs. they do sound way different live from what i'd heard of them on the CBC...

if you get a chance, check corb out. totally spot-on songwriting, and a pretty cool mix of covers.

i checked out the london gig, too.

my impression of corb lund was that he's about 2 years away from either being a super cheeseball new country star, or a really important figure in modern canadian country music going forward. i just hope like hell he's not both.

half of it i dug a lot, half of it reminded me of my days threatening my younger sister to change the channel from friggin' CMT...

loved elliot brood - great faster version of johnny rooke - each time i see them they seem to be in the pocket a little more. great band.

i checked out the london gig, too.

my impression of corb lund was that he's about 2 years away from either being a super cheeseball new country star, or a really important figure in modern canadian country music going forward. i just hope like hell he's not both.

that's exactly it.

i hope for important canadian music figure. he's far too self effacing and funny to allow himself to degenerate in to "new country icon."

he did go on near the end of the show about writing soulful thoughful songs for years, and then having a major hit with "truck got stuck."

he then played a new tune called "family reunion" that had a line about "met a couple cousins i might have dated in school, but hell, it's alberta, that's cool!"

brilliant.

that, and the extra verses in his cover of stompin' tom's "hockey song."