Jambands.ca

HUM reuniting for one show

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Hum to Play Reunion Gig at Alabama Festival

Heaven is playing in hell. The craziest space-rockers to ever plug in a flanger, Hum, are playing a single reunion show on August 17th at Furnace Fest in Birmingham, Alabama. The group hasn't played a show together since doing a couple of early reunion gigs during the last days of 2000. The band called it quits back in 1999 after wrecking their tour bus and getting dropped from RCA when their 1997 triumph Downward Is Heavenward failed to sell up to the label's expectations.

With a sound too densely layered for mass consumption and an unfortunate first single ("Comin' Home", the album's weakest track), Downward Is Heavenward was a commercial flop but has since become a cult classic that teams with 1995's You'd Prefer an Astronaut (which includes the left-field radio hit "Stars") and some stunning B-sides to inspire the fiercest stargazing fangeek devotion this side of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

[credit: pitchforkmedia.com]

I used to listen to Hum back in the day religiously. The aforementioned album "You'd Prefer An Astronaut" is a diamond in the rough for sure.

Any other Hum fans out there?

I find it interesting that 'space rock' fans and jamband fans tnd to not be likened to one another. the music's just less funky...still ultra phat! totally strong music with builds and dynamics...I think Post rock fans too appreciate similar elements...just a slightly different feel. My tastes developed with the help of college radio then with siblings or peers so it was self-exploration. I love it all from sonic youth to that dog to pavement to trans am and tortoise and the doves. black rebel motorcycle club and velocity girl and cub...

lotsa bands that i really like. I've heard a whole whack of it on the radio but never sat down and listened to the albums. I wish that I had friends that were more into this music because I love it. i don't have a fast net connection and can't afford to go buy the albums i never had the money to when i was 16...and don't remember them all....

too bad really that HUM never took off. i liked what i've heard.

Archived