Jambands.ca

when did the Globe turn left?

phishtaper

i used to delivery the Brampton Daily Times when I was a kid. my sister delivered the Globe and Mail. hers were a lot thicker and full of all sorts of gibberish about business and politics and stuff that just looked boring. mine had colour comics on weekends. she got better christmas tips. i got cookies.

when did the Globe turn left? it used to be sooo right.

The Globe has generally been pretty balanced, and is definately the paper of record in Canada. The editorial position has been centre/centre-left for as long as I remember ... funny, I just picked up a G&M this morning for the first time in a long time, though it was a daily addiction of mine for years.

If it ever consciously lurched leftward, I imagine it had something to do with the unapologetic conservativism (and Canadian Alliance connections) of the National Post and trying to stake out unique ground.

i've always found the globe to be a bit schizophrenic. half the time they are on the left of a given debate, but then when the editorial staff let loose, they come across as tighty righties.

terence corcoran comes to mind. i try not to read his columns, they angry up my blood.