Jambands.ca

Yet another one goes to court.....

Dr. J

Read this morning where Olivia Newton-John is suing over the royalties (or lack thereof) from the soundtrack to Grease. Where were the lawyers when these folks were signing contracts?

I remember awhile back reading an interview where the artist (i can't remember who) was asked who a new band should seek out first... a manager, a booking agent, a label etc. The answer took me back when the individual replied: Before you talk to anyone, talk to a lawyer. At first I found the answer to be pretty crass and somewhat flippant, but have since come to understand it actually has some merit.

As I'm sure StnMtn can attest, for better or worse, the whole field of entertainment law has exploded in the last few years. Nowadays an entertainment lawyer does much more than simply advise on legal matters.

The best known case in Canada is Chris Taylor who actually began to seek out record deals for his clients including Sam Roberts, Billy Talent etc. When he couldn't find a record deal for Metric, he started his own label and management firm (Last Gang Records/Management) and now handles both Metric and Emily Haines solo as well as numerous others.

I suppose it cuts down on expenses when your lawyer is your label is your manager etc :P