Jambands.ca

Another reason to celebrate on Saturday: St. Knut's Day

ollie

St. Knut's Day

King Knut who ruled Sweden from 1080-1086 is honoured as a saint for his virtue and generosity. He had declared that Christmas should be celebrated for twenty days, officially ending the season on January 13th. The days between Christmas and Saint Knut's Day are filled with parties for children and adults. After this day, trees are taken down to mark the official close of the season.

This is probably just of interest to Genesis fans... I believe the song Can-Utility and the Coastliners has something to do with King Knut. Kev? Anyone?

This is probably just of interest to Genesis fans... I believe the song Can-Utility and the Coastliners has something to do with King Knut. Kev? Anyone?

Hmmmm ... let me think about that one. Cool if it is one of PG's obscure references.

Right now i'm thinking of Steve Martin on SNL doing a St. Knut skit:

King Knut ... Funky Nut

Edited by Guest

Well, I can kind of see a correlation with the two, but may be a little of a stretch. Have you ever read anything else about Can Utility anywhere else?

Can-Utility And The Coastliners Lyrics

The scattered pages of a book by the sea

Held by the sand, washed by the waves

A shadow forms cast by a cloud,

Skimming by as eyes of the past, but the rising tide

Absorbs them effortlessly claiming.

They told of one who tired of all singing,

"Praise him, praise him."

"We heed not flatterers," he cried,

"By our command, waters retreat,

Show my power, halt at my feet,"

But the cause was lost,

Now cold winds blow.

Far from the north overcast ranks advance

Fear of the storm accusing with rage and scorn.

The waves surround the sinking throne

Singing "Crown him, crown him,"

"Those who love our majesty show themselves!"

All bent their knees.

But he forced a smile even though

His hopes lay dashed where offerings fell (where they fell).

"Nothing can my peace destroy as long as none smile."

More opened ears and opened eyes,

And soon they dared to laugh.

See a little man with his face turning red

Though his story's often told you can tell he's dead.

Well, I can kind of see a correlation with the two, but may be a little of a stretch. Have you ever read anything else about Can Utility anywhere else?

I believe Knut is mentioned in the introductory story before Can-Utility... I have a TMB Foxtrot bootleg with me that I'll pull out this afternoon and see if I'm right.

Interesting stuff Ollie. Doing a few searches and learning a bit about Knut. Sounds like he was quite the dude:

I found a few references that Can Utility is def a ref to the legend of King Knut. However, he was also known as "Canute." Take that, and you can see where CAN-UTEility comes from :) :) :)

Here's an account of Canute the Great's life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canute_the_Great

http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=gen-fox

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The end of the Viking age

Throughout the Viking Age, there were many conflicts and battles between the Vikings and the English. In the 9th century, the English king, Alfred the Great forced the Vikings to leave the whole of western England. During the 10th Century the English reconquered many Viking areas. But in the early 11th century the whole of England was ruled by the Viking King Knut.

Beowulf is believed to have been written during Knut's reign (1016-35)

http://arts.stage.manchester.ac.uk/mancass/assets/thefile,73316,en.pdf

Here's another King Knut

335399440_d60db6fa2b.jpg?v=0

Possibly Gabriel saw himself in King Knut someway:

http://www.dprp.net/proghistory/index.php?i=1972_03

The largely underrated Can-Utility And The Coastliners was written in the rehearsal room and road-tested before it was recorded, just like Watcher Of The Skies. It is a story about King Canute, although I have read a theory that said that it is in fact about Gabriel himself; a singer wary of "flatterers" and of singing. The track contains some lovely bass pedal and mellotron sections. It also features one of the few guitar solos on the album. Great track!

Just posted to the TMB group Ollie. Thanks for my history lesson today :)

What's up for next week's lesson? The true tale of the Giant Hogweed? Who was the REAL Harrold the Barrel? Have the Ripples really gone to the other side? What happened BEFORE the Ordeal? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)