Jambands.ca

Conservative Heritage minister spends $5,500 on limo rides

Hux

Loooooving this....

Heritage minister spends $5,500 on limo rides during Juno trip

OTTAWA (CP) - Heritage Minister Bev Oda racked up $5,500 in limo bills as she travelled around Halifax last spring for the Juno Awards - eventually paying back nearly half out of her own pocket.

Documents obtained by the Liberals under Access to Information show that Oda and her staff used a private limo company 11 times in four days, ordering several cars each day and paying drivers to stand by for as long as seven hours at a stretch.

The bill, dated April 8, totalled $5,476. Documents show Oda wrote a cheque reimbursing the government for $2,226 on May 19.

"When people started asking questions, the minister's conscience apparently got the better of her and she cut a cheque for $2,200, but when will the minister cough up another $3,200 to cover the rest of the cost of her Juno joyride?" Liberal MP Michael Savage asked in the House of Commons.

Oda defended her choice of transportation, saying she followed government rules.

"In carrying out my ministerial duties I followed all the guidelines appropriately . . . I did cover the additional costs that were not related to ministerial duties."

Oda's office would not offer further comment about the bill.

In one case, a minivan with a driver was sent to pick Oda and her staff up at the Halifax airport. Two hours after they were dropped off at their hotel, a sedan limousine was ordered for travel around the city for meetings.

A third limousine, this time a stretch, was ordered later in the day to be on stand-by until 11 p.m.

On the day of the Junos, the country's premier music awards, Oda had two limousines on stand-by until 11 p.m., and ordered a third later in the evening.

Last year, Oda was forced to bow out of a fundraiser when the opposition pointed out that it was being organized by a media executive who lobbies the Heritage Department.

UGH! Oda is a twit. She needs to be replaced. As a CBC worker who was locked out of his job for 2 months, i have some ill feelings towards her. She's been sitting on documentation that shows how the management of the CBC has been irresponsibly spending THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars on useless things and expenses. All the while they nickel and dime where it truly counts. She's killing part of our heritage.

Bev Oda ... see you next tuesday, BITCH!

:: rant = off ::

whew, that feels better :)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)