Jambands.ca

Television CD Reissue news

Jaimoe

This should excite any who know who this influential 70s-90s CBGB's band is. I was late to listen to Television ( late 90s ), but they quickly became one of my Top 10 favourite bands. I'm all over these reissues. Marquee Moon is one of the best albums I own, and I own 700-800 official studio/live releases. Oh yeah, they jam like no one's business. For anyone on the west coast, go to see them at the Fillmore in September ( check bottom ).

MARQUEE MOON and ADVENTURE "deluxe" reissues

Word has just come through on the following release dates:

9/23/03 - Rhino

Marquee Moon (Expanded & Remastered)

Adventure (Expanded & Remastered)

9/23/03 - Rhino Handmade

Live At The Old Waldorf 1978

We're presuming that the Old Waldorf show is the same one bootlegged as Live Adventures, Live In San Francisco, Portable Electricity.

From Reuters/Billboard:

Rock Act Television Plugs Back In

Tue July 22, 2003 10:40 PM ET

By Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The catalog of seminal New York rock act Television will be upgraded this fall with new editions of the albums "Marquee Moon" and "Adventure," plus the first official release of the oft-bootlegged concert disc "Live at the Old Waldorf." Rhino will release the sets on Sept. 23.

Originally issued in 1977, "Marquee Moon" set the rock underground ablaze, on the strength of the signature inter-twining guitar work of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd and such classic cuts as the nearly 11-minute title track and "Elevation."

The new edition of the album includes alternate takes of "Friction," "Marquee Moon" and "See No Evil," a previously unreleased instrumental and the early single "Little Johnny Jewel," the full version of which has never been issued on CD.

Although by no means a hit upon its release (it failed to appear on the Billboard album chart), "Marquee Moon" has become something of a holy grail of independent rock in the years since.

It has been a clear influence on such artists as Pavement, Sonic Youth, the Strokes and Jeff Buckley, who recorded material shortly before his 1997 death with Verlaine as the producer.

"Adventure," released in 1978, extended the band's mastery of dynamics with songs such as "The Dream's Dream" and "Glory," which were slightly less aggressive than those on "Marquee Moon."

Rhino's reissue features the previously unreleased cut "Adventure," an early version of "Glory," and both an alternate mix and instrumental version of "Ain't That Nothin'."

"Live at the Old Waldorf" was taped June 29, 1978, just months before Television splintered due to inter-band tensions.

The set hits all the high points from the two studio albums, as well as "Little Johnny Jewel" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction." The album will only be available to order online through Rhino's Handmade imprint.

After more than a decade of inactivity, Television suddenly reunited in late 1991 to record a new, self-titled album for Capitol and embark on a tour, but the period of activity was short lived.

After another extended hiatus, the group reformed in 2001 for a run of shows in the U.K. and North America.

Television has played a handful of gigs this year the U.S. and Spain, and is set for performances Sept. 25 in Tokyo and Sept. 27 at the Asagiri Jam Festival in Fujinomiya, Japan.

San Francisco gig 2003

Television is scheduled (confirmed) to play the Fillmore in San Francisco on September 21st.

quote:

Originally posted by Raven_Space:

Adventure is not as good, but not much meets the brilliance of Marquee Moon. Along with the reissue of Hamilton 70s psyche band Simply Saucer, this might be the best reissue news of 2003.

I agree with you Raven. Simply Saucer's " Cyborgs Revisited " kicks. I love that album.

Adventure is not as good as Marquee Moon , but how could it be? Actually, Adventure is an excellent album with some of Television's greatest tunes: Foxhole ; Ain't That Nothin' ; and the moody, The Dream's Dream .

I recommend all their albums highly. Their last album, Television ( 1992 ) was good too. The guitaring on that album soared, especially Richard Lloyd's. 1800 or So is one of their best tunes. Also worth checking out is their official bootleg release: The Blow Up . The sound isn't too good, but the musicianship is stellar.

Jam-heads should know about these guys.

Archived