Jambands.ca

Something cool for the kids (and grown-ups)

Kanada Kev

For anyone who's interested, this looks really interesting. I'm packing up the kids soon to head over. You'll hear our collaboration with Broken Social Scene in the near future :D

http://www.thestar.com/article/183767

KID-FRIENDLY

Nuit Blanche for families

Feb 22, 2007 04:30 AM

Kristin Rushowy

STAFF REPORTER

It's an afternoon of "art and ideas," a "symposium for the kidtelligentsia and their parents."

In other words, it's not your typical playdate.

This Saturday, the venerable downtown Arts and Letters Club opens its doors to a much younger crowd, who will be roaming the hallways with their parents in search of artistic, literary and musical experiences during the Bunch Family Salon.

And while billed as an event for kids and their parents, it's actually quite the opposite, says organizer Rebecca Brown.

"It's a reversal of so many family events," says Brown, co-founder of Bunch family fun. "Most activities are for the kids – but our mandate is equally for the parents."

Bunch is behind the wildly popular family dance parties held at the Drake Hotel. Brown and fellow new mom Lisa Kaplan – who met at a postnatal pilates class – hatched the idea about a year ago after the two found themselves talking about all that goes on in the city. The dance party, held every six weeks or so at the Drake hotel, is still their biggest draw, regularly attracting about 400 people.

When Bunch added a "chill-out" room for families to take a break from the dance floor, rest, eat or do arts activities, it proved popular.

"Then we said, let's do an event that's all a chill-out room," says Brown.

Likely the only event of its kind in the country, the Bunch Family Salon features the talents of representatives from the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto Symphony Orchestra, National Film Board, Royal Conservatory of Music, the Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People and Levitt Goodman Architects.

Activities include:

# Collaborating on an original song with Broken Social Scene's Jason Collett and Kevin Drew.

# Three to seven-minute lectures by children, on topics such as "Why I love mice" (by a 6-year-old girl) and the ocean (by an 8-year-old).

# A "percussion petting zoo" of drums from around the world, with TSO's lead timpanist.

# Art workshops with representatives from the AGO.

# Architectural workshop, with Levitt Goodman Architects, to design a fort – large enough that the kids can play in it.

# "Reverse readings," hosted by local author David Eddie (author of Housebroken) where children's poems and short stories will be read, and then the pint-sized scribes will be interviewed.

# A 15-year-old "undercover" opera singer who will break into song while mingling with the crowd.

If it sounds too sophisticated for the stroller set, it's not, says Anne-Marie Ambert, a sociology professor at York University.

"We really underestimate in our culture what children can do. They can learn far more and far younger than we allow," she says.

"We always think that parents have to do fun things for children, why not turn the table around and have children doing activities with their parents?"

To that end, Bunch is looking ahead. A rock concert is planned for May at the El Mocambo featuring local indie bands.

Edited by Guest

From the article it sounds like they do "family dances" at the Drake Hotel every couple of months. They are also going to be doing a concert at the ElMocambo soon too with a bunch of indie bands (as soon as I find out a date on that i'll post it). We should get all the mini-skanks out there for that one :)

Well, we made it to the event and had a blast. It was well run and a ton of fun for everyone. Wayyy better than a lot of the kiddie-crap that's out there, IMHO.

I spoke with one of the 2 organizers and she's looking forward to pulling off another ROCK show in the near future. Looks like it would be at the ElMocambo. She asked me if I wanted to play (don't know why she thought I was in a band ). I told her that I may know of some cool musicians who may be interested in getting involved in something like this. Anyone?

Take a look at their website.

http://www.bunchfamily.ca/

I'm going to contact them again soon and see if maybe we could help 'em out. Who knows, maybe it could be co-sponsored with Jambands.ca ... make it a "Peanut Butter & Jam Bands Concert" !!!! The kids would LOVE it.

Edited by Guest