Jambands.ca

Criminalizing Cheating in School?

StoneMtn

I think that we may be going a little too far with government regulation if we start putting people in jail for things that we used to expel them for...

Jail those College cheaters!

By J.B. Affra, Staff Writer, Yahoo! Education

March 31, 2007

TORONTO, CANADA – A new special interest group, calling itself The Honest Students, is lobbying Queen's Park to pass controversial new legislation in the province of Ontario. It appears they are getting some attention from politicians too.

The group is lobbying for the Ontario government to make cheating in school illegal, and punishable by imprisonment.

A recent study of post-secondary school institutions in Ontario has revealed the disturbing fact that the vast majority of students in Ontario's colleges, universities, trade-schools, and professional schools have cheated on a test on at least one occasion. Perhaps more disturbing, a poll of staff at the institutions, both educators and other staff, admit to being aware of rampant cheating but doing nothing to quell the epidemic.

The Honest Students say that they represent the hard-working minority of students, who study hard and don't cheat on exams. They want to see the criminal justice system step in to even the playing field by stopping the cheaters. They propose a new law that would see stiff fines imposed on college and university cheaters for a first offense, and up to one year in prison for a second offense.

One member of The Honest Students, interviewed at Ryerson University said, "These cheaters are sailing through school, getting good grades, and then taking the best jobs away from me. I'm working myself to death to get good grades, and you're telling me that when I graduate I'll have to compete with lazy cheaters for jobs? They're stealing from me. They should go to jail."

It also appears that politicians are starting to listen. It may be just a matter of time before cheating in school becomes illegal in Ontario...

Link to full story.