Jambands.ca

Cream fo Asparagus Soup

slavetothegroove

Hey folks. I'm going to try my hand in making cream of Asparagus soup, and will be my first experience making any type of cream soup. Does anyone have any delicious recipes or tips on making it? I've looked at a few recipes and they all seem fairly easy but the ingredients differ from using just canned broth to cream cheese. I'd prefer it to be a little more thick than watery.

Also any other recipes for yummy soups are welcome. I'm feeling soupey these days. Thanks guys.

Steph.

If you want it thick start by sweating the asperagus with some onion, celery, bay leaves maybe some fresh thyme. Add the stock, bring it to a boil. Blend the whole thing up to make it nice and smooth. Add some 35% as you blend the soup. Return to the heat and finish with Buerre Manier**(sp). Bring it back to a boil and it should come super thick and be done. All in all this process should take no more than a 1/2 hour. The less you cook the Asperagus, the more flavour will remain.

** Beurre Manier- a cold roux added at the end to cooking to thinken or balance a sauce or soup.

To make, mash equal parts of COLD butter with flour and mash together. The less lumps in your mix the less lumps appear in the soup. Cold butter must be used or the milk solids and fats separate when it comes to the heat and it will

not emulsify.

edit to add: if you can wait for an hour till I get my kid down for a nap, I'll write you a quick easy recipe.

Edited by Guest

Hey yeah Phorbesie, not veggie so I'm open for anything. Thanks M.O.B.E. I've got lots of time for the recipe, probably won't be making it for a few days. But your suggestions so far sound delightful.

One question, what exactly does sweating mean? I have a feeling it's like steaming, but not sure.

Any tips you have I am eager to learn, as these things will be so useful to know in future cooking experiences.

ok then here's one i like to make, esp on a cold day! it's nice and thick. serve with garlic bread.

:)

i find it tastes better when i grind up my own garam masala, so if you have the time and spices it's worth it, but i'm often too lazy to do it so i use storebought.

the recipe doesn't make a ton of soup, maybe 4 smaller bowls or 2-3 big bowls. so you might want to double it.

Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Soup

6 Tbsp unsalted butter

1/2 tsp crushed garlic

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp crushed black peppercorns

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

225 g chicken (skinless, boneless)

1 med. leek, sliced

generous 1 cup mushrooms, sliced

1/3 cup sweet corn kernels

1 1/4 cup water

1 cup cream

2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander

1 tsp crushed red chillies, to garnish

1 - melt butter in a med. saucepan. lower the heat and add the garlic and garam masala. lower the heat further and add the peppercorns, salt and nutmeg

2 - cut the chicken into fine strips and add to the pan with the leek, mushrooms and corn. cook for 5-7 min. until chicken is cooked through, stirring constantly.

3 - remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. transfer 3/4 of the mixture into a food processor or blender. add the water and process for about 1 min.

4 - pour the puree back into the saucepan with the rest of the mixture and bring to the boil over medium heat. lower the heat and stir in the cream.

5 - add the fresh coriander. taste and adjust the seasoning. serve hot, garnished with crushed red chillies if liked.

:)