Jambands.ca

Stupid Harper

nattyMatty

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/04/16/chretien-charter.html

Just another sign of a Stupid Harper.

nattyMatty

Agreed. If George Bush wasn't in power and such a right wing nutjob Harper would look even worse.

It is obvious that he does not want to commemorate the charter as it does not suit his view of a conservative/fascist society...

yeah I'm exaggerating but that cocksuker gets me steamed all the time...

I was just looking at this story, thinking, wow, funny thing for him to be so glib about.

It was the lines at the end of the article that caught me -

Harper and critics have complained in the past that judges have used the charter to undermine the powers of Parliament.

Harper was barely a month into office when he suggested judges should show greater deference to Parliament and "apply the law, not make it."

Seems he's working under the premise that The Law is an accomplished thing. How very... not modern.

The Canadian Charter.

Read it, know it, defend it.

From Section 24 of the Charter:

(1) Anyone whose rights or freedoms, as guaranteed by this Charter, have been infringed or denied may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction to obtain such remedy as the court considers appropriate and just in the circumstances.

2) Where, in proceedings under subsection (1), a court concludes that evidence was obtained in a manner that infringed or denied any rights or freedoms guaranteed by this Charter, the evidence shall be excluded if it is established that, having regard to all the circumstances, the admission of it in the proceedings would bring the administration of justice into disrepute.

Edited by Guest

I have a framed copy of the Charter hanging on the wall behind my desk.

when i feng shui'd my office a few years ago, I read that it was good to put a picture of a mountain behind you - something solid and permanent - to ground the space, and give yourself a solid foundation.

i chose the metaphoric route rather than the literal, and I always feel like I have something very solid behind me.

(although, truth be told, I'd much rather have the fully signed copy that the Dean has instead.)