Jambands.ca

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & Yngwie Malmsteen

\/\/illy

I've got Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow" and "Wired". Good albums, both of them.

I've also got a good assortment of Coltrane, Monk, and Montgomery and they're all excellent too. I've spent my time with those obsessions.

The "Bela Bartok String Quartets" is a new one for me. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

I've not heard the "Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane" but that sounds really good. I've got a "Coltrane & Monk" CD that's really nice!

No Chet Baker at this time so that may be a good place to start looking. (Except Paisley recommended it and he likes Nero [Wink] )

I guess I'm just looking for something to really impress me again. It's been awhile. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just checked my 'cd's-to-buy-next-time-i'm-in-Toronto' note and found the following:

The Neville Brothers - ?

Bill Laswell/Zakir Hussein - Table Beat Science (Axion/Palm/Outside)

Anyone have any opinion here?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll chime in on two things:

Willy, pick up some Shakti and Remember Shakti. If you like Mahavishnu you'll flip your lid listening to that. On Kazaa I downloaded Santana playing with the Mahavishnu (I think one track is called "Love Divine"). Also pretty sweet.

And fucking Judas Preist rules!!I was a huge fan and I'm definitely joining Paisley for that show. Just to hear Turbo Lover, and to marvel at the spectactle of a hardcore metal band with goofy lyrics and a gay lead singer [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

I'll chime in on two things:

Willy, pick up some Shakti and Remember Shakti. If you like Mahavishnu you'll flip your lid listening to that. On Kazaa I downloaded Santana playing with the Mahavishnu (I think one track is called "Love Divine"). Also pretty sweet.

And fucking Judas Preist rules!!I was a huge fan and I'm definitely joining Paisley for that show. Just to hear Turbo Lover, and to marvel at the spectactle of a hardcore metal band with goofy lyrics and a gay lead singer
[smile]

Mahavishnu is some serious music,I have secondtube to thank for getting me into that.Love it.

Last time I saw Preist was at the CNE in 86 I think and it was the Turbo tour.That was one of those I got to get under my belt shows,wasn't bad really,but I wish I had gone & seen them long before that album,ummm Defenders,Screaming & Sad wings were my favs back then.

hey Willy check out

Joe Pass

-solo chord comping, makes the hairs on my neck stand straight up

Weather Report

-Jaco Pastorius(nuf said?)

Stanley Jordan

-master of the two handed tapping piano style guitar, two guitar parts played simultanius

Alain Caron (le Band)

-formerly of UZEB, plays one of those six string fretless F-basses made in Hamilton

Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin

-cant remember the album title, but they do covers of coltrane and miles davis and stuff

Sun Ra orkestra

-avante-garde future jazz

Micheal Ray and the Cosmic Crewe

-formerly of Sun ra and Kool and the gang believe it or not

john pizzarelli

-son of Bucky Pizzarelli grew up into the jazz scene, plays a seven string hollow body, some songs are mellow almost lounge songs, while others rock....I've never heard anyone scat sound for sound with a jazz guitar solo like this guy...check out the songs, "avalon" and Little girl"

I forgot to say..

good call on the Randy Rhoads comment earlier, he was a huge influence for me, huge ripping guitar solos, mixed with soft classical interludes.....I can still play "Dee" note for note on my poka-dot flying V

Judas Priest you say? halfords back in the band to isnt he......oh well, i made it to the Slayer concert last year, now that was a heavy metal show!

Archived